Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What does U.D. mean???

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jayne

Jayne Report 2 Mar 2006 17:40

I've just received my grandfather's birth certificate (at long last!!) and underneath 'When and Where Born' it reads: Fifteenth May 1918, 44 Main Street, Rawmarsh U D. Does anyone know what this means?? Many thanks Jayne x

Merry

Merry Report 2 Mar 2006 17:41

Urban District! Merry

Jayne

Jayne Report 2 Mar 2006 17:42

OK I've had a hard day and I am blond! Thank you Merry. Jayne x

Merry

Merry Report 2 Mar 2006 17:50

I wasn't suggesting you should know! Then there's the other one.......USD Urban Sanitary District........Ugh! Merry

Angela

Angela Report 2 Mar 2006 18:39

And RSD is Rural Sanitary District Angela

Jayne

Jayne Report 2 Mar 2006 19:08

Do you ever get the feeling you really don't want to know the answer to some questions??? What on earth is an urban sanitary district???? Jayne x

Merry

Merry Report 2 Mar 2006 19:12

LOL Jayne, Urban Sanitary Districts existed nationally from 1875 to 1894. Their purpose was to maintain and improve public health services in urban areas, although they had more powers than Rural Sanitary Districts due to bigger problems. There are lots of descriptions of similar things on: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/types/index.jsp Merry

Jayne

Jayne Report 2 Mar 2006 19:14

I knew I shouldn't have asked - I like the mention of 'bigger' problems Merry, that conjoured up all sorts of really awful images!! Jayne x

Merry

Merry Report 2 Mar 2006 19:15

Quite!

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 2 Mar 2006 19:16

Merry, Please do not even try to answer what the bigger problems were,i don't think i could take it. Sometimes the mind boggles when you don't want it to. Glen

Jayne

Jayne Report 2 Mar 2006 19:18

Exactly Glen and I 've just eated - not a good idea! Jayne x