Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FREECEN - I need help! #2

Page 1 + 1 of 18

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

****Nicky

****Nicky Report 21 Mar 2006 18:05

I knew it wouldn't be long before i needed help again. I have had a few queries with birth places. I have a few where it just says country eg Scotland so I have put sct in the T column but when I try to put a hyphen in the next column i get the grid number entered ie if i type - in column T i get -T143, how can I get around this. Also I have had a few where it just says place of birth and no county and again when i type - in i get the same. On another note I take it that i wouldn't type in ditto or do, I have been typing the surname or place in each time, is this ok or should i be typing exactly what the enumerator said. Thanks for any help. Nicky

****Nicky

****Nicky Report 20 Mar 2006 18:12

Thanks Jeanette. That's helped a lot. I will take the time to read through all this thread sometime as I'm sure there are other queries I havn't come across yet. Thanks again Nicky

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 20 Mar 2006 17:00

Hiya Nicky And well done to you! I shall attempt to answer your questions! lol 1. Yes with a spreadsheet you just keep typing. With every new census page you start, you must enter the Enumeration District number in column B, the Folio number in column C and the Page number in column D. Every now and again you may find a new enumeration district starting. This will be obvious as there will be some writing and other stuff before the census pages start. There will be a new Enumeration District number on one of the written sheets. And every time you start a new enummeration district you will need to enter the Civil Parish in column A........this should be found in the top left of each page. 2. I know you can get those that you couldn't even have a stab at! In this case, put a hyphen in column T or U (depending which one you can't read) and then put an x in column V. My co-ordinator asked me to send my first 10 pages for her to check when I first started just to make sure I was doing it right. Jeanette x

****Nicky

****Nicky Report 20 Mar 2006 16:44

Woo hooo!! Have just done my first 2 pages. Right as well I hope. Just a few quick queries whic I am sure have been answered before but here goes. 1. I assume with spreadsheets i can just carry on typing, without adding pages in, this does it automatically but do I need to put folio number and schedule etc at the top of each new page or just when I start a new census page. Hope that makes sense. 2) What do i do if i cant read a place, or name,i know it says to make a guess and put x in the cloumn but what if i can't even make a guess?. Hopefully wont need to ask too many questions but its nice to know you are all there if i need help. Going to get tea now so will check later. Nicky

xHeyJudex

xHeyJudex Report 14 Mar 2006 18:11

Sunderland is now Tyne & WEar but it was known as DUR. Must catch up or I will be in trouble off Carol!

Terence

Terence Report 14 Mar 2006 17:44

Hi Kind People I have Sunderland as the county of birth. It's not in the Chapman codes. What do I enter instead. Many thanks - Terry

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 14 Mar 2006 16:32

Nudging this again

SueinKent

SueinKent Report 13 Mar 2006 13:06

nudge

xHeyJudex

xHeyJudex Report 16 Nov 2005 19:44

I've been quiet for a while thought i would check in and say hi and give a nudge!

Nikki

Nikki Report 9 Nov 2005 16:49

a cheeky nudge!

Nikki

Nikki Report 5 Nov 2005 17:00

This may be a daft question, but I've now got a few entries where the county of birth is Breconshire, is this the same as Brecknockshire as there is no code for Breconshire? Nikki

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 1 Nov 2005 21:30

Nudged for Marion Maureen

Nikki

Nikki Report 23 Oct 2005 16:55

Thanks Jeanette

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 22 Oct 2005 23:42

Hi Nikki If there's nothing written I haven't been writing anything either. The reason for this is that you do actually find sometimes that the enumerator has actually written unknown himself. Similarly if the county is missing I don't put it in as there can be places with the same names but in different counties. Hope this helps Jeanette x

Nikki

Nikki Report 22 Oct 2005 21:16

Can anyone tell me what to type in the county code column if there's nothing listed, should it be UNK or just leave it blank? I have several entries where there is no County or Town listed & some of them have the town but no county. Thanks Nikki

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 18 Oct 2005 16:10

Hi Anna I've not been around much so I've only just read this. Sounds like he wants shooting! lol. Don't know about you but I hate having to put in entries when they're not spelt correctly. I think he would have sent me mad by now! lol Jeanette x

Nana Anna

Nana Anna Report 13 Oct 2005 23:02

Aaaaaaaaarghhhhhhh - sorry Jeanette just got to sound off - this enumerator is doing my head in. He can't spell nothing right. I can't take much more!! Examples: Manner Farm; Castle Cotages: Wooman; Mr Jons (Jones), 1 month old baby: Forename: Not, Surname: Named! Why did he get picked to do the job? Anna

Marion

Marion Report 9 Oct 2005 21:12

Thanks Jeanette your a star. Marion

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 9 Oct 2005 21:05

I've just had one of those for the first time Marion. What I did was put a zero in column E, an x in column H and a note in column Y - that was for the blank page. Then on the next page I typed in the Enumeration District Number, Folio number and page number and just carried on as normal. Again, because there is an x in column H, the checking program will stop so that the checker can sort it out. Jeanette x

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 9 Oct 2005 20:51

hi jeanette thankyou so much i'm glad i asked i know you get 2 pages for one bit concerned about which i needed to use, thanks i must have missed the bit about using them both, i will probably be ok when i get started its probably easier than it looks. kind regards jackie.