Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

BLACKSMITH - ENGINE SMITH?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gill

Gill Report 24 Feb 2005 14:06

HI ALL I KNOW THIS MAY BE A SILLY QUESTION BUT COULD A BLACKSMITH ALSO BE KNOWN AS AN ENGINE SMITH? HAVE JUST RECEIVED A COPY OF GGRANDPARENTS MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE AND FATHERS OCCUPATION WAS RETIRED BLACKSMITH. AFTER SOME RESEARCH THE ONLY FAMILY I CAN TIE IN HAS OCCUPATION AS ENGINE SMITH(E&M).ps what is E&M

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 24 Feb 2005 14:19

E&M = Eastern & Midlands Railway Company. Richard

Gill

Gill Report 24 Feb 2005 14:30

HI,THANKS RICHARD

David

David Report 31 Dec 2023 15:58

I have the same - several different distant cousins described as both Blacksmiths or Forge Managers, and then as Engine Smith (EM), Apprentice Engine Smith (EM) or Foreman Engine Smith (EM) in different census years. However, any "&" in "E&M" appears to have been added during transcription and not on the original record. In addition, they are all working on Tyneside (NER or LNER) so unlikely to be working for the Eastern and Midland Railways Company (which was only formed in 1881.)

I'm thinking that EM may in these cases stand for Electro Mechanical or Engineering Manufacturing, or for something else?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 31 Dec 2023 16:54

David - interesting but you have added to a very old thread.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 31 Dec 2023 18:51

Gill is no longer a member of GR, so, unfortunately, will not see your post