Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FTM 2005 vs. Legacy Chart Companion?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Heike

Heike Report 8 Nov 2004 13:04

Dear all, I have been researching family research software for a while now, having tried out several demos in order to find one that was suitable for me. So far, the demos I really liked were the ones from Legacy and Gedbox. I need a good charts function and so far the one on Gedbox was the one I liked most but then that program is really expensive. So I was looking into alternatives and came up with Family Tree Maker 2005 and the Legacy Charting Companion, enabling one to make charts with Legacy. Unfortunately Family Tree Maker doesn't offer a demo (why not, by the way?). Therefore I was wondering whether any of you had experiences with one of those two programs and could help me with some questions: which one would you personally say has the better charting functions? Legacy (with charting companion) or FTM? I know it is a matter of personal taste, but I'd value any opinion, also about the program generally. Then, I prefer my ancestor and descendant charts to be horizontal instead of vertical. Do both programs offer the option to choose for such a chart or can I only have that vertical left-to-right chart-type? I also tried out Family Tree Legends and the boxes on the charts there were miniscule and too close together. Is that something that happens with any of the above-mentioned programs? Sorry to shower you with all these questions, but I really want to make an informed decision before I spend my money. So any experiences and opinions are very welcome. Thanks and best wishes, Heike