Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help! Name Change

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Emma

Emma Report 14 Jun 2004 19:30

Does anyone know the best way to find out someones surname b4 they cahnged it or where I can find a record of the change. My great granparent were Florence Louise Louis (nee Pilliner) born 1871 lambeth and Harry Wellington Louis. I know that they changed their surname to Louis after they were married but I don't know what Harry's name was before so I can't find a birth certificate. I have tried looking for the marriage which shoud have been between 1891 and 1894 probably in london but no luck. Any ideas? Also can anyone tell me if it was usual to change your surname. They had seven children all of whom took the name Louis.