Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

upload problems

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Keith

Keith Report 15 Apr 2004 02:02

Hi there, I am trying to upload my gedcom after updating it, I have deleted my tree, but when I try and upload, the screen goes blank and seems to 'time out' with nothing happening. does anyone know what I am doing wrong??. Thanks

Judy

Judy Report 15 Apr 2004 08:48

Keith....give the following a try......if MAY help. If not, and it's something you haven't done yet, you'll benefit in the long run....Judy Fixing “Website Can’t Be Found” and other Site Error Messages More than likely you have trouble with accessing quite a few sites.....particularly getting the message "website can't be found" among a few other error messages. Try the following and it should solve your problem. 1. Go to START. 2. Click on CONTROL PANEL. 3. Click on INTERNET OPTIONS. 4. Change NUMBER OF DAYS TO KEEP IN HISTORY to “0” and click APPLY 5. A box appears with tabs labeled across the top. Click on ADVANCED. 6. Scroll down to the sub-heading SECURITY. 7. Make sure the following has check marks next to it: Use USE SSL 2.0, USE SSL 3.0 and USE TLS 1.0. 8. Also make sure you check off EMPTY TEMPORARY INTERNET FILE WHEN BROWSER IS CLOSED. More than likely USE TLS 1.0 is not checked of and it should be. This will give you the error messages, as well as a few others, that will prevent you from viewing web sites and the error you are getting. Make sure you empty your cookies cache as well as temporary internet files once in a while, too, as this slows down your computer.

Peter

Peter Report 2 Sep 2016 03:57

Fast-forward to 2016... More severe issues?

For approaching a month I have tried several times (and failed) to Upload a revised version of a tree that has been on GR for maybe 10 years??

I believe that the Updated affect perhaps 85 additional people, on a base of some few thousands. [12k?]

Result - Failure... Cancelled update after 2-3 days, retried... Failure... Deleted existing Tree.... Didn't Help...

3? days ago uploaded just the additional NEW individuals [85? entries] Failure! ?What?? [Status of tree Upload shows as "importing", then OK..."but no imported data to our tree??]

I have just uploaded this last small file [85?] again, and will see what happens??

When the problem was in its infancy so weeks ago, staff at GR acknowledged there was a problem, but as it appeared to only affect a few people... ...limited resources.... ...working as hard as we can... etc..

Weeks later, still problems?

Anyone else have similar issues at the moment???

Peter

REF: Gedcom Source: RootsMagic 7.2.1.0 (23 May 2016)

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 2 Sep 2016 08:10

Yes me !
3 or 4 weeks since I attempted to upload a gedcom.
I know that a number of members, including myself have reported it
Support do respond to emails but, they skirt the issue.

So far, all I want to know is if they intend to update or contact any of us when the issue is resolved
They did tell me that when a resolution is found, that my sub will be extended to cover the loss but how do I know when it' s resolved?
Will they contact me or do I just keep trying?

This question remains unanswered in all correspondence from support.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 2 Sep 2016 11:56

I also reported it a couple of weeks ago and received that standard reply that others have already mentioned on the site.

However I did notice that a couple of days later the 'in progress' message had cleared so it looks like they pushed it through manually.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 6 Sep 2016 08:58

I tried again yesterday morning to upload a gedcom.
Almost 24 hours later.....

JerryH

JerryH Report 9 Sep 2016 12:21

Glad to know I am not alone!
I tried again this morning and guess what... Importing for the last hour or so.

I sent an email to Support in June about this problem and had a reply that it had been passed to their Technical Team.

I also sent a further email as a reminder this morning.

Jeremy

Stephen

Stephen Report 9 Sep 2016 22:56

seems im not alone in this matter

i too have tried without success to contact support team regarding a problem uploading my gedcom file, i have been a member for a number of years but am getting fed up with this. If it isnt resolved will be cancelling my membership

JerryH

JerryH Report 13 Sep 2016 17:00

Not yet. Have just tried again but feels like bashing ones head against a brick wall,

And of course NO REPLY from support.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 14 Sep 2016 01:15

good luck!!!!!!

you make it sound as though you have a secret line to GR support and tech help :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 14 Sep 2016 22:16

can you get a temporary phone, a la some of the spy novels :-D

Kense

Kense Report 15 Sep 2016 09:05

I imported a GEDCOM yesterday (3400 entries) and it seems to have worked OK. The previous upload was just under 3200 people.

Kense

Kense Report 15 Sep 2016 11:12

Only just noticed they sent me an email yesterday to say that the import was completed successfully.

JerryH

JerryH Report 15 Sep 2016 12:12

Guess what!

I have my tree back and I have also had an email from Support telling me that they believe they have fixed the problem.

:-D :-D

Jeremy