Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Janet Karnovski

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janet

Janet Report 12 May 2003 16:22

Suzanne. The 1881 census is on line which you can access through the familysearch site. It is also available on microfiche at the centre by name which can be very handy!!! The others, as the previous message states, are on microfilm. For larger towns, you would need the street but for smaller places, like villages for example, there is no street index. You first go to the book cabinet for the appropriate year, look in the "place name index" for the town/village, note the number and then get the folder with that no. in it. i.e. no. 431 would be in the folder 206-630. (That is just an example!!!) You look for the highlighted no. in that folder and when you find the town/village that you're looking for, note the no. in the left hand column. That is the no. of the film that you want. I hope that all makes sense. I'm sure it will when you are actually there. DONT FORGET TO GET A SEAT NO. They are on a bookcase just in front of the help desk. If you don't and you happen to sit at someone elses reader, woo betied you!! I have seen people come to blows over that!!! Only joking. Some of the 1851 census is available on line at the centre also. Happy hunting Jan from Gravesend, Kent.