Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Scottish Ancestors

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

(`•¿•`) Loopy § Lady Ŀindy (`•¿-`)

(`•¿•`) Loopy § Lady Ŀindy (`•¿-`) Report 22 Nov 2007 22:28

Is anyone looking for Scottish Ancestors?

The only free web site I know is familysearch.org.
Most Libraries have microfilm and microfishe, which is done by LDS, too.

Do you know of any others?

Thanks for looking.

agingrocker

agingrocker Report 22 Nov 2007 23:52

Hi Lindy Loo, I am about to start on Scottish stuff, I will be using ScotlandsPeople, it's not free though.

Duncan

Mhairi Queen of Scots

Mhairi Queen of Scots Report 23 Nov 2007 00:10

I'd recommend Scotlandsfamilytree, the friendly forum :)

It has a free bit and a sub bit, loads of willing and eager people to help, each with their own knowlede and experience in searching scottish records. Loads of records - Census, MI's, Burial records, directories ect (the list goes on and on and ect).

http://scotfamtree.11.forumer.com/

Come over and have a wee nosey
Mhairi

p.s There is also a thread on the records board with lots of helpful scottish websites mentioned, if you search for scottish websites it should appear. If not, let me know and I'll nudge it up...might do it anyway, it needs a nudge.

Euphemia

Euphemia Report 23 Nov 2007 09:31

Hi Lindy Loo Have just started using Scotlands People and very good value £6 00 for 30 credits you use 1 to view birth record and 5 for cert , will now have a look at the other site mentioned good hunting Fay

Susan

Susan Report 24 Nov 2007 11:08

Hi Lindy,

Most of my family are Scottish, and whilst the Scotland's People website is fantastic I would say the best thing you can do is make a wee trip to Edinburgh and go to Register House, if you can. The staff are really helpful and it works out much cheaper than buying online.

The only problem is it's only open on weekdays 9am to 4.30ish, and closed on all public holidays, so it can mean taking a day off work.

Suze

Christina

Christina Report 24 Nov 2007 14:03

Hi Lindy
Try www.talkingscots.com
www.rootschat.com
www.scotsorigins.com
google search Hugh Wallis genealogy
Christine.

Euphemia

Euphemia Report 24 Nov 2007 15:40

HelloSuze, can I ask you for more info on going to register house in Edinburgh. thats were I live but I am still new to all this I have been told that it is £17 00 for day pass and that you have to book . Do you still pay for any certs or can you make notes any info would be great thanks Fay.

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 24 Nov 2007 16:39

Hi Euphemia,

Have you seen the thread from Mhairi Queen of Scots, she goes to Edinburgh all the time and does lookups for people on GR.

Mhairi would be able to tell you everything on costs etc at Edinburgh Records office and there is also another place in Edinburgh she goes to for the older record and she would help you with information on this too.

Betty

Susan

Susan Report 24 Nov 2007 18:32

Hi Euphemia,

I'm from Edinburgh too - it's very handy! You do have to book, but it's not usually a problem. Also, if you can't make it in first thing they'll still keep your place for you.

It's £17.00 for a day pass or you can go for half a day which is cheaper. Some of the stations you can take a laptop with you, but you should ask about this before you go as these are limited. You are free to make notes, and you can get printouts of records pretty cheaply (haven't been for a while, but it's under £1 anyway). An official extract will cost more - £7 I think.

It's great because they have all the BMD records from 1855 - 2006, as well as census records to 1901, Old Parish Registers and much more. The staff are really knowledgeable and can point you in the right direction should you need any help.

Mhairi Queen of Scots

Mhairi Queen of Scots Report 25 Nov 2007 00:06

If I could, I would camp out in the Records Office...in the Dome. I love that room! If you ever come up to Edinburgh and go to the records office, request a seat in the Dome.

It is £17 for a day ticket or £10 from 1pm onwards which doesnt leave much time so I'd advise you to go all day. I'm always doing searches up until the last minute.

I have never booked though if you did so in the summer season it might be an idea, especially when all the tourists are in and wanting to look up their ancestory.

If you've used SP before then you should have no problems using the computers. On your first visit they do give you a little booklet (which is now slightly outdated) and its a good idea to read over a wee bit of that first. Within no time you'll be using the system like a pro :)

Its 50p for a print out but you cant print out modern day events. The rules from SP apply. Any births after 1906, marriages after 1931 and deaths after 1956 can be viewed but not printed.

Take plenty of paper with you. Make sure you know what you are going to look for before you go. Make up sheets on the computer with name, date, address ect, to make sure you take down all the details. There has been many a time when I've come away only to find that I have forgotten to take down the year the event happened.

If anyone from Edinburgh, or anyone up/down in Edinburgh to do some searching, ever wants to meet up at the records office for a day of searching, let me know :)

Mhairi

Avril

Avril Report 25 Nov 2007 02:26

N

Linda

Linda Report 25 Nov 2007 06:34

Hi Lindy Loo
A great site I have come across is called Genuki - it is a great information site - can tell you history of specific areas in Scotland, also have some Cemetry listings. Plus has lots of links to other sites which I have found to be of great help. Take a look it is worth it.

Best Wishes - Linda (Australia)

Euphemia

Euphemia Report 25 Nov 2007 12:35

Hi Suze
thanks for info I am going to make a start and get all my notes in order as Mhairi suggested cheers Fay

JustKaz

JustKaz Report 25 Nov 2007 12:38

hi lindy loo,
i use scotlands people and some on ancestry, but seeing this i will have a look on the other sites.. would love to go to edinburgh thats where my nans family come from..
xxxxxxx

Samantha

Samantha Report 22 Feb 2017 21:05

Mhairi,

We are planning a trip to Scotland later this year (I am coming from South Wales) and am hoping to book a day in the offices whilst my husband and children go exploring.....I will make sure to request a dome seat :-)

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 22 Feb 2017 21:24

Samantha, it's ten years since Mhairi posted that, and she won't be looking for replies here now.

If you want to contact her, try a personal message (click on her name at the top of her post.). If she still uses the email address she registered with GR, she'll be notified of your message.

Up-to-date details of where and how to search in Edinburgh are here:

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/visit-us/scotlandspeople-centre