General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

i've hit a Massive brick wall.....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hester

Hester Report 6 Jun 2008 10:04

I was wondering if anyone can tell me whether it is possible or not to trace people who were born in another country?
I am trying to find any details of Henry Orchover and Esther Reiss, I belive that Henry was born in the Ukraine in 1874 and Esther in Turkey around 1882,
They moved to England sometime between 1904 and 1906.
They had a child in paris in 1904 whilst they were making their way to england and then their next child was born in england (my grandfather)
I am desperate to try and find anything on them...as i have well and truly hit a brick wall.

Can someone please tell me whether it is possible to trace people who were born in another country? or have i just got no chance whatsoever in finding them???

Thanks

Kay????

Kay???? Report 6 Jun 2008 10:21

If they applied for British Citizenship,,there could be records at the,
National Archives in Richmond Kew London,this maybe worth checking out,
These records give quite a bit of information,

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 6 Jun 2008 10:26

There must be a way,,,after all they do it on WDYTYA dont they?
Wish i could help Hester but Im clueless...let us know if you find out..

Hester

Hester Report 6 Jun 2008 10:27

Thanks Kay, this is the problem though i don't think that they did!!
Nevertheless i think i will probably take a trip down to Kew,
thanks!

♥ Kitty the Rubbish Cook ♥

♥ Kitty the Rubbish Cook ♥ Report 6 Jun 2008 11:28

There are some records on this site for Ukraine bmd's around that time

http://www3.telus.net/public/mtoll/czech.htm

Sally Moonchild

Sally Moonchild Report 6 Jun 2008 11:31

What about the Ancestry site.....you can put in any country for BMD details on that.....

Sally Moonchild

Sally Moonchild Report 6 Jun 2008 11:32

......sorry I meant the LDS site....

Hester

Hester Report 6 Jun 2008 11:50

thanks, not had much luck with that site kitty, but thank you anyway,

sally, what is the LDS site?

♥ Kitty the Rubbish Cook ♥

♥ Kitty the Rubbish Cook ♥ Report 6 Jun 2008 11:52

http://www.familysearch.org

Sally Moonchild

Sally Moonchild Report 6 Jun 2008 11:53

If you google LDS it comes up with that Mormon Family Search site.......and on there is a box where you put in the christian name, surname and date and you can choose either birth/baptism......marriage ......death......or all life events.....the underneath it give country.......and you choose a country.....

Hester

Hester Report 6 Jun 2008 12:19

Oh thank you sally, i have tried that before, no luck, i'm thinking that maybe the names that i know are the english version!?
I know that Orchover can derive from many other names....urg this is so frustrating, i've also made an attempt to get in contact with family members who may be able to help, but i really think i have a dead end here!!!
Like you say Claire there must be a way....its just trying to find it!

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 6 Jun 2008 12:24

It may be worth contacting your local LDS church. They have lots of films in their library - only a small part of which are listed on their website. You either need to search through their library listing on their website or talk to them to see if they can.

I visited my local LDS recently and a woman there was working through some film from Germany so they should be able to order in the film for you if they possess it.

Jill

Hester

Hester Report 8 Jun 2008 13:08

thank you everyone for your help... this is so frustrating for me, if i can just find their marriage details i will be sorted!!
Just bumping this thread up incase there is anybody with any other advice they can offer!!
thanks

David

David Report 27 Oct 2008 12:10

Are these the children? If so, their birth certificates may help a little.

From freebmd:

Births Sep 1906
Orchover Joe St. Geo. East 1c 327

Births Dec 1908
Orchover Harry St. Geo. East 1c 272