General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I might be wrong but

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pat Kendrick

Pat Kendrick Report 19 Jun 2008 15:54

I think it's time again for a HUGE THANK YOU to all the members on here who unstintingly give their time to help others. To kick off of course
Errol (a star)
There are of course many many more as I am sure you all know and perhaps we take them a bit for granted. They could probably earn a fortune for all the work they do again and again so.
Two inadequate words but THANK YOU so very much everyone.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 19 Jun 2008 15:56

it is a very helpful forum I have to say - all sorts of problems are sorted on here and good advice given by so many

Ann XXXX

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 19 Jun 2008 16:05

Hello Pat,

Yes I agree Errol is a star, my main problem is not knowing the technical jargon people use when talking about computers.

As you can tell I know nothing about computer software/hardware, I don't even know what is considered Software and what is Hardware really.

I sometime feel like when you go to the hospital and the doctor starts talking about all the organs inside you like you know how they all work when really we dont.

Betty

Pat Kendrick

Pat Kendrick Report 19 Jun 2008 16:11

Betty I think most of us don't understand the technical jargon. My son builds repairs and updates computers amongst other things but does not have the patience (unlike Errol) to explain to a novice.
Now hardware and software I have sussed (I think) hardware is the pc, printer, scanner monitor etc.
software is the CD's, programes.
If I'm wrong someone will put me right.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 19 Jun 2008 16:12

Thank you (again)

Betty, hardware is anything physical such as the computer, printer, mouse etc
Software is less tangible in some ways and is really just another word for programmes, so anything from Windows (XP, Vista etc), which is also known as your operating system (OS), to Word, FTM, Internet Explorer etc

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 19 Jun 2008 16:14

Spot on, Pat

Hilary

Hilary Report 19 Jun 2008 16:22

I also would like to thank everyone. No names as there are so many giving there time & patience.
Thankyou everone for whatever advice or information.
Genes would be no-where without you.
Hilary. xx

Ladylol Pusser Cat

Ladylol Pusser Cat Report 19 Jun 2008 16:27

i would like to thank daff for her help in putting me on the right track for finding information i need
and our errol he is super shame he is a sheep and im having his leg on sunday

Pat Kendrick

Pat Kendrick Report 19 Jun 2008 16:54

Island pmsl that's a lovely explanation that I think anyone could understand that.