General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Does anyone know of anyone one who

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

♫ Penny €

♫ Penny € Report 25 Jun 2008 17:56

has been prosecuted for having

♫ Penny €

♫ Penny € Report 25 Jun 2008 17:57

sex with an under 16 year old?

Just going on from a discussion in the playground today. As the law says you can't have sex with an under 16 year old

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 25 Jun 2008 18:06

We have had someone reported in local newspaper who is being prosecuted for having sex with someone under 16 years of age. The problem is though, he said she wanted to so does that make a differnce.

Betty

Small blonde Angel

Small blonde Angel Report 25 Jun 2008 18:10

The law is quite clear it is illegal to have sex even with consent with an under 16 year old. Anyone under the age of 16 is considered to be below the age of consent.
Yes I do know someone who was proscecuted.
Angela

Granny  Grumps

Granny Grumps Report 25 Jun 2008 18:10

someone here has just been jailed for 12yrs for having sex with under 16 yr old, and so he should be they are still children.

SallyF

SallyF Report 25 Jun 2008 18:17

If they are both under 16 but over 13 I don't think any further action would be taken. And if it was it would surely have to be both prosecuted as it is illegal for either sex.
If someone over 16 has sex with an under 16, but over 13, then unless the girl goes along with the prosecution it is very hard for the police to follow through fully. There have been a lot of cases with unerage girls having sex with a lot older men but because they're over 13 and won't give evidence of what has happened it falls through.

♫ Penny €

♫ Penny € Report 25 Jun 2008 18:18

I agree with you but we keep hearing in the news about young teenage pregnancies & under 14's abortion rate going up just wonder if anything major is going o be done about it !

SallyF

SallyF Report 25 Jun 2008 18:19

If the fathers are also under 16 I don't know what can be done.

Sharron

Sharron Report 25 Jun 2008 18:20

It can be life for under thirteen.

SallyF

SallyF Report 25 Jun 2008 18:21

I think the law concerning under 13's isn't as ambiguous.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 25 Jun 2008 18:24

if they are of similar age nothing will be done

its classed as not in the public interest

Dianne

Dianne Report 25 Jun 2008 18:36

I know someone who went to prison for a couple of years when his 15 year old girlfriend gave birth to his twins. When he came out they got married.

Dianne xx

♫ Penny €

♫ Penny € Report 25 Jun 2008 19:09

Thanks for your posts.

So it does happen then. You just don't hear that bit in the news !

Dawnieher3headaches

Dawnieher3headaches Report 25 Jun 2008 19:12

But what happens if they are both under 16 then he turns 16 a few months before her would he still be liable to prosecution.

Its a difficult one. I was shocked when eldest told me how many girls at school were pregnant, maybe I am very niave.