General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Silverstone-------Grand Prix

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 29 Jun 2008 23:25

Has any one been? what is it like queuing to get in? is it neccesary to leave at an ungodly hour?( Gates open at 5 am.....)
my journey is aprox 1 hour 32 minutes....
also what "Kit" will I need.. like ear plugs, rain gear etc?
Bob

Helen1959

Helen1959 Report 29 Jun 2008 23:32

Not been to Silverstone, but have been to Spa. We slept in the car overnight as I had won tickets for both the Sat and Sunday. We parked in the woods above La Source hairpin and walked down to the track. It was ace, we took headphones, but I managed without them, I would check the weather forecast on the Friday, just in case. I would also advise you take food and drink with you because the mark up on the prices would be huge. The year we went was when Micheal Schumacher won his very first race for Bennetton.

I hope you have a fantastic time and don't forget to give me a wave.

Helen.

Tina-Marie

Tina-Marie Report 29 Jun 2008 23:50

My advice to you Bob, would be to purchase one of the radio transmitters that they sell there with the radio frequency for the commentary.

I have been twice and had a seat in the stands. Although this was great, it was very difficult to keep up with what was going on by just looking at the screens and track.

Getting in will be very organised, getting out won't be so be prepared to be patient.

As Helen said, take food, it's available there but very pricey and nasty.

I hope the weather is good for you, I have had the two extremes but both times were fantastic. The first time you hear the cars come round is awesome.

Enjoy your day and please let us know how you get on.

Tina x

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 30 Jun 2008 00:19

yep we got a pack up cool box organised, thanks for the tip about the radio......we are in the stands on the pit straight so should see some action there......lets hope little louie dont have another accident!!!
our tickets were ordered back in November for my 70th birthday treat,

rotten lott,
my present was a plastic racing car, a card with a racing theme, a formula 1 shirt,and a empty DVD case......on the back of the spoof Grand Prix video case was"This video is best watched, by attending At Silverstone on July 6th, 2008!!"

so if we leave around 5am- ish should get there for 6:30-7 races start at 10 Am..... Hmmm wheres me 'noculars and me camera. .....I know i 'ad some new battries somewhere!!

Bob

Helen1959

Helen1959 Report 30 Jun 2008 00:34

Bob what a brilliant way to give you your present. I bet it never clicked at first.

Helen

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 30 Jun 2008 09:26

It was slowly sinking in, Helen, I was filling up as it went on......couldnt believe it.....
Bob

Tina-Marie

Tina-Marie Report 30 Jun 2008 09:29

What a wonderful way to receive a gift Bob,

Have a great day.

Tina x

Liz

Liz Report 30 Jun 2008 11:55

Went once, getting out was far worse than getting in - after a while a farmer opened up a way through his fields and charged anyone who wanted a quicker escape! But that was a few years ago.
I'm not even a formula one fan - but it was fantastic and I'd love to go again.

jean,300171

jean,300171 Report 30 Jun 2008 19:06

we thought it was a great way to give him a birthday surprise ...ie our son and daughter inlaw/our daughter and her hubbie and all 4 grand children all knew what was going on since the begining of last year we'd all clubbed together to buy two tickets{one for him and one for our son,we couldnt let him go on his own!! and yer it took a long time for him to fall in what it was all about;he say's im the biggest liar he knows }me i know nothing me lud im innocent me lud lol, im sure he will have aday to remember . Jean{his other half }

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 4 Jul 2008 16:27

I have just heard on the radio, that Silverstone is to lose the F1 Grand prix, in 2010 its going to Donnington Park!!

think I heard it right!!!

Bob

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 4 Jul 2008 16:38

Yes thats right Bob, from 2010 it is going to Donnington, they have just signed a 10 year contract and plan to plough £100,000,000 into the circuit and facilities.

Sally Moonchild

Sally Moonchild Report 4 Jul 2008 16:39

Not had the experience of going to Silverstone for a Grand Prix Bob......... it must be wonderful being there on the day and seeing it, hearing it and the atmosphere of it all.......whatever the weather I hope the day goes really well and you get lots of photos if you can......x

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 4 Jul 2008 17:11

I'll do my best......

peterborough today was a bit of dogs dinner regarding traffic, in town they had coned off half the bourges boulevarde,for Lighting repairs,
the ongoing saga of the fletton parkway is still a nightmare. Morbonne way was closed at one end for resurfacing.... the soke parkway is coned off for building a new roundabout at Eye..one of the slip roads to A47off the A1southbound is closed....miss the previous slip road (to alwalton)and its a 5 mile detour, also there was an accident on the northbound A1 just past Norman Cross
I suppose its in the regulations but why do they have to cone off the approach to a roundabout, when the traffic is going to split anyway?and the roadworks is on the opposite side? AND the side road approaches as well? Whats more, I see that the annual 22 weeks of Road bridge refurbishment is imminent, on the nene parkway!
Bob

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 4 Jul 2008 17:20

OH GOES THERE FOR CAR SHOWS I WENT COUPLE OF TIMES

HORENDOUS

Helen1959

Helen1959 Report 6 Jul 2008 18:58

nudging in case Bob is back yet? I want to hear the details.

Helen

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 6 Jul 2008 20:34

Was a smashing day, spoilt a bit by the wind and rain,many people were prepared for the bad weather, some were not so astute

we were right on the finish line opposite the podium.

Im not being sexist here but those pit lane babes earn their money.......rar rar skirts and high heels
in that weather...and still manage to look good...

red arrows did a lo level presentation/display.

Lewis got his act together and did a faultless days work.......How on earth do they manage to see to race,in all that spray?

we got there for seven am....and the radios were sold out....
all in all my day went well, will remember it for a long time......

Bob

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 6 Jul 2008 20:37

glad you had a good time...i went in 2003 and to France twice.....have to say Silverstone was better,

Karen x

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 7 Jul 2008 02:49

Glad you enjoyed your Birthday treat Bob.
Lizx

Susan719813

Susan719813 Report 7 Jul 2008 02:59

Glad you had a good day Bob

The last time my Oh went ( was a fanatic )....he and his son were walking through some sort of tunnel area....out jumped 3 muggers with a knife and stole his camera...he didn't go back again......

Glad you had a good time though :-)))

Susan
x