General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

TESCO

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 2 Jul 2008 20:43

Are they big or what?

Farmers depend on them

Selling washers, cookers, driers fridge freezers.

And their owm SIM card for mobiles.
And insurance, loans etc.

THEY SELL MONEYI

Long way from T E S Cohen grocer years ago

♥ Kitty the Rubbish Cook ♥

♥ Kitty the Rubbish Cook ♥ Report 2 Jul 2008 20:54

And petrol and diesel , clothes, toys and household appliances................they are a massive company.

Sally Moonchild

Sally Moonchild Report 2 Jul 2008 21:06

Yes, they dominate round here.......we have Sainsburys too, but a couple of miles away.......we also have an Asda, but it is up a steep hill......not good for old people or mums with young children......

They were advertising that stuff would be cheaper from Monday......yes, their bread was cheaper but they were also selling tins of grapefruit 2 for 1......how many young mums buy grapefruit.....

I have been reading a book about immigrants and London over the centuries and how they have come to improve the country......this is what is written....

Jack Cohen was a Jewish street trader - born in the East End in 1898 and worked in a sweatshop.....In 1915 he joined the Royal Flying Corps and after the was was a trader in a street market.....eventually his stall turned into a shop (like that of Michael Marks of Marks and Spencer fame).....It was called the Tea and Soap Company....Pile em high and sell em cheap was his slogan......Perhaps the piles were so high they obscured some of the letters on the sign (written in the book).....before long Cohens company became Tesco......the truth is slightly different......Cohen went into partnership of T.E.Stockwell and this was how the name came about......another saying was....always keep your hand on the money and be ready to run.....the first supermarket was opened in 1956 and he was knighted in 1969, his daughter....Shirley Porter became a controversial mayor of Westminster....

....the above taken from the book.....Bloody Immigrants....

David

David Report 2 Jul 2008 21:33

Undoubtedly a massive business conglomeration.

Hire the brains, money makes you money.

Money goes where money is.

My local branch has a free bus service to it and a metro rail station behind its car prk.

How does the competion compete?

Lea

Lea Report 2 Jul 2008 21:48

They also have bought into America, Poland, and Asia...Global company now ....Making big money, also been hit by the credit crunch too.

Sally Moonchild

Sally Moonchild Report 2 Jul 2008 22:13

Ours is much the same David.....big petrol station and next to the entertainment complex, you know - multiplex cinemas, swimming pool, night clubs.....so a constant supply of customers....

It is also on the main road from the M1, Factory estate and Hemel Hempstead.....prime location......and easy to get to......it has its own roundabout....

yorkshire pud

yorkshire pud Report 2 Jul 2008 22:24

evening all. dont knock it you might miss it.

Libby

Libby Report 2 Jul 2008 23:38

I agree, they seem to have their fingers in every pie. lol.

I try to shop around even though Tesco is my nearest supermarket to where I live. I have an Aldi and Asda near to where I work, so shop there as well.

I also shop on my High St, within a two minute walk from home and try to support the local butcher, baker and greengrocer. The local shops are the ones that we will really miss if Tesco and the like carry on, the local business man just can not compete with their prices. The one thing they can offer though is personal service and to be honest I find their produce to be fresher and mostly better quality.

It's the same with pubs, Weatherspoons etc. are driving our local pubs out of business, along with the Pub companies and breweries.

Very soon, we will have very little choice as to where we can shop for food etc because the "big boys" will have taken over.

Libby x

Diddydoris

Diddydoris Report 3 Jul 2008 00:44

I live in the town where the 1st Tesco Supermarket was built, they're still here, bigger and more outrageous than ever!

David

David Report 3 Jul 2008 07:43

And they give points on all your purchases :)

Diddydoris

Diddydoris Report 3 Jul 2008 08:08

I prefer Tesco points to Nectar Points! I've saved up 500 nectar points only to find out they're worth about £2.50 :-(

Sally Moonchild

Sally Moonchild Report 3 Jul 2008 09:55

We have the shopping points and petrol points (OH has to drive a lot) put into Airmiles........and we can go away for a long weekend when we have enough points.....

I used to love those green stamps you put in a book and had a catalogue you could buy things from with them.....

CMD

CMD Report 3 Jul 2008 10:20

My hubby used to say years ago that the big supermarket chains would take over the world, and have everyone by the 'short and curlies'....and he is being proved right.......

Where I live used to be known for its markets...we dont have them anymore....

cmdx

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 3 Jul 2008 13:35

I hate the fact that they are constantly opening "small" branches in the suburbs - they have recently placed one in a suburb of Cardiff right opposite a small newsagent and general store - just a matter of waiting till that closes down I suppose

Public opinion stopped them building another one in my village and killing another local store off

Linda

Linda Report 6 Jul 2008 13:05

tesco fruit & veg are awful it goes off to quick last sunday i brought some fresh carrots &strawberries only to find they had gone bad by tuesday i prefere to use local market or farm shop they keep for much longer

Kathlyn

Kathlyn Report 6 Jul 2008 13:42

I will not buy anything from Tesco. They are like a cancer, spreading everywhere, they, along with the other big supermarkets, are squeezing the life out of their suppliers to get the lowest price possible. Remember the farmers who were pouring their milk away as they could not afford to sell it to Tesco, it cost them more to produce it than they were being paid.

This world is too greedy.

David

David Report 6 Jul 2008 14:27

Many would agree with you. Depends where you live. In some parts of the world the very people who grow the produce to sell to Tescco can't afford to eat it.

Half the world is in the process of becomming obese while the other half is malnourished.

Tesco's profits soar regardless

David

David Report 6 Jul 2008 14:38

Our local Tesco hypermaket is open seven days a week tweny four hours a day. Always busy.