General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Genes Extras

Genes Reunited subscription bonuses

As a way of saying thank you to our subscribers, we have launched Genes Extras. You'll find exclusive competitions and discounts on family history magazines, days out and much more.

Take me to Genes Extras

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Been back to Upton Park today

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ann

ann Report 3 Jul 2008 21:29

to do a course for work.I was born and bred here and did my course opposite West Ham Football Stadium.I must admit i felt as if i was back home and i just kept thinking thats where all my ancestors came from.I only live about 40 mins away by car,but its so different where i am now. Annie

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 3 Jul 2008 21:33

I bet Green Street isnt the same...........
Bob

₪ TeresaW elite empress of deleted threads&#

₪ TeresaW elite empress of deleted threads&# Report 3 Jul 2008 21:34

I can vouch for that Bob, my mum ran a laundrette in Green Street in the late 60s, now its a sari shop....

We lived in Ferndale Road at the time, just off Green Street.

ann

ann Report 3 Jul 2008 21:39

Teresa,Did you remember in the 60,s a family of five, parents and 3 children were living above a launderette and were all killed by a fire in Green St?Think it may of been 1962? Annie

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 3 Jul 2008 21:45

my insurance broker has premises in romford road.....more towards forest gate...been going to him since I was seventeen, for insurance. about 53 years..first for motor bikes then cars, with one year exception. (his dad retired and closed the business)
a year later the son wrote to me... and I returned to him.....

Bob

ann

ann Report 3 Jul 2008 21:48

Bob,Think my dad still has his insurance with Coverdales in Woodford Rd Forest Gate. annie

₪ TeresaW elite empress of deleted threads&#

₪ TeresaW elite empress of deleted threads&# Report 3 Jul 2008 21:49

That was before we got there, I would have been 3 then so I wouldn't remember.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 3 Jul 2008 22:12

In those early days, all my adult family had their insurance with Albert Maurice, as it was then........

name has changed now still a family business....
when I moved up here in '75 was the last time I had face to face dealings.......since then its been over the phone, or Email.......

Bob