General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HST

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Running Bear

Running Bear Report 11 Jul 2008 12:40

A delicate ribbon of gas floats eerily in our galaxy. A contrail from an alien spaceship? A jet from a black-hole?

Mick from the Bush

Mick from the Bush Report 11 Jul 2008 12:49

More likely the latter.

xxxx mick

♥ Kitty the Rubbish Cook ♥

♥ Kitty the Rubbish Cook ♥ Report 11 Jul 2008 13:28

*looks at the sky*

Where?? :)))

Running Bear

Running Bear Report 11 Jul 2008 14:17

its a very thin section of a supernova remnant caused by a stellar explosion that occurred more than 1,000 years ago.

now thats interesting.

♥ Kitty the Rubbish Cook ♥ Report 11 Jul 2008 14:21

See now I have to ask ......................how do "they" know its a "very thin section of a supernova remnant caused by a stellar explosion" or that it "occurred more than 1,000 years ago"

I blame Eldrick................I have more questions than answers these days, I used to accept everything I read :))

Running Bear

Running Bear Report 11 Jul 2008 14:45

you ask too many question my dear lady, you see if "THEY" say thats what it is, then thats it, cause no one can prove otherwise, so until someone comes up with a better explanation we have to live with what they say.

Eldrick

Eldrick Report 11 Jul 2008 15:58

'They' use spectoscopic analysis to decide what the cloud consists of. Measuring the distance is easy....basic maths.

Its just trigonometry - reduce the problem to a triangle and you have the distance - ie a known measurement for your baseline, then calculate the angle - using sines and cosines ( i cant remember the formula) you can calculate the distance.

The speed of light being 186,000 miles a second, 'they' can then calculate how long it takes light to reach here!

♥ Kitty the Rubbish Cook ♥ Report 11 Jul 2008 16:00

Oh I see Eldrick......................*says she who needs to consult a dictionary or 3* LOL

I'm with Arch:)))