General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice Wanted

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sian

Sian Report 18 Jul 2008 23:20

Hiya, I've signed up today and thought I'd search for my mum who's still alive but although I have the details and know she exists! I cant find any records for her birth/ marriage! Please tell me I havent just wasted money on this service as if I cant find the living with accurate details I have to hand, how on earth am I supposed to search my family history for generations who have passed away!!! Thanks Sian

Mrs.  Blue Eyes

Mrs. Blue Eyes Report 19 Jul 2008 00:00

Sian don't despair I couldn't find me, OH my mum or my dad and I know they exist. BUT I easily found my children and my grandparents backward..
The younger ones are on computer and the older ones are being entered into the system, it seems to me there is funny void in between, I think it may be that they haven't got to those years yet,
Of course I may be wrong and I'm sure the very clever peeps on here will tell me if I am.
Good luck with your searching..

ps. I found a lady on here who had loads of names dates etc, on my Oh family side, so as Janet says do a search through trees on here

Sian

Sian Report 19 Jul 2008 00:30

Hi Jan & Blue Eyes,

Brilliant, thank you for your help. I as really starting to think there was something wrong, I even rang my mum (who's only in her 50's) to ask if she really existed haha. I've found my brother (just to check I wasnt going insane) and great grandparents but keep getting stuck, I've only started tonight so I suppose it will get easier.

Thank you again for your help.

Best of luck with your searches too

Sian x

Mrs.  Blue Eyes

Mrs. Blue Eyes Report 19 Jul 2008 07:28

I've asked for help a couple of times on the trying to find board and have had some lovely people spend time and energy looking for me...xx

Sian

Sian Report 20 Jul 2008 22:30

Hiya,

Ahh thank you for all your advice. How do I find the Ancestry Claire? Sorry to be a pest and asking loads of questions ;o).

x

Sam

Sam Report 20 Jul 2008 22:33

www.ancestry.co.uk

It isn't a free site (costs about £80 per year) but if you are serious about family history and researching your tree, it is virtually essential.

Saying that, suprisingly enough it is far far easier to trace ancestors that have long since passed away than it is to find living people!

Sam x

Cumbrian Caz~**~

Cumbrian Caz~**~ Report 20 Jul 2008 22:36

Hi Sian, welcome and Im sure these boards will help you!!

Caz xxx

MrDaff

MrDaff Report 20 Jul 2008 22:53

Hi Sian.... have you found your way back from chat yet?

It is quite confusing when you first start, but you'll soon be addicted.

Love

Daff xxx

Sian

Sian Report 20 Jul 2008 23:22

Haha,

Whoops, Daff you've found me on both ;o) I really was lost!

Thanks Sam, your right, I'm finding it so much easier to find relatives pre 1901 than later, I'm constantly ringing my parents and grandparents and driving them insane asking questions about the relatives that are still alive or havent long passed away!.

And Daff, I think I'm already addicted! Oh gosh! haha

Thanks again all.

Sian x