General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Childrens school sports day !!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lin in Sussex

Lin in Sussex Report 24 Jul 2008 05:56

Think I must be missing something here!
It was my g/daughters Sports Day this week at school,so I asked my daughter if she was taking her camera?
O.k I know its not the done thing to take photos of kids anymore but my daughter also said that sports day is not what it used to be ?
The children are NOT allowed to be competitive !
Sorry, but what is all that about ?
Then my m.i.l. told me that they cant be competitve in case some of the children get upset.
So if they are not allowed to be competitive how do we find out who our prospective Olympians are ? Or instill confidence in the kids ?
Think I must be getting old and crabby but I really dont see the point. Life is competitive.

Lin x

Forgetmenot

Forgetmenot Report 24 Jul 2008 07:45

Morning Lin, how are you? long time no speak!

This non competitive sports started when my lads were leaving infants school. I think its all a load of tosh to be honest, I don'tunderstand why it was all changed either.

Gillie XX

♫ Penny €

♫ Penny € Report 24 Jul 2008 07:47

At our school they are not competitive in infants but when they get to juniors they are put in houses. They are given points all year for good work etc . Then on sports day run , do games with their houses & then the cup is presented to the winning team.

As my 8 year old said "it's only a little cup!"
This team came 3rd :-)

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 24 Jul 2008 09:44

Thank god we have a great school

Our kids did races of all kinds.

Each child had to choose at least one event prior to the day to compete in to make it a fair choice what they wanted to do most. These races were practiced class by class in PE over the last few weeks.

There were winners 1st 2nd & 3rd...who all got winner 1 2 or 3 stickers & their names written down for a mention at the next assembly.

Each of the others who lost also got a good sport well done sticker..and as with the first 3 got lots of praise.

Parents were allowed to take photos and video shots of the kids racing. Those who didn't want their kids photographed etc signed a form at the beginning of term and I believe would have amounted to I think one child, who I think by choice was kept off of school by the parents that morning.

My finest moment was handing out the stickers at the finish line to see a beaming Connie bounce towards me in her sack coming second.

I wish I could have bottled that funny moment :o))

Lin in Sussex

Lin in Sussex Report 24 Jul 2008 09:53

Aww that sounds brill about Connie.
I used to love seeing those big smiles.

Lin x

♥ Kitty the Rubbish Cook ♥

♥ Kitty the Rubbish Cook ♥ Report 24 Jul 2008 10:19

I don't think you can stop a competitive child being that way can you?

I hated PE and sports day and couldn't care less if I came last or first..................those were the days when we were encouraged to do our best.

Our school lets children enjoy having a go and almost all of them really want to win.

Because we have quite a few children who are disabled in some way, we have teams in each class and all those points are added up at the end to get a winning team, so any child, no matter how disabled they are has an equal chance.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 24 Jul 2008 10:57

this politically correct and human rights brigade really do get up my nose!!!!!