General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Inconsistent dates

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ellen

Ellen Report 1 Aug 2008 18:47

I have a copy of my grandmother's birth certificate. She was born in Wales in 1876. On the certificate it gives her birthday as February 1. However, in her obituary in our local paper in Canada, it stated her birthday was January 26; and recently Edwina, whom I got in touch with through Genes Reunited and who has found a lot of info about the family, was able to get a copy of some pages from family Bible. In this her birthday is also listed as January 26, 1876. Was there a time limit to registration after which a fine was incurred? I noticed her father registered her birth on March 13. It's just a bit of a puzzle why there is this discrepancy. If anyone can shed some light on why this may have happened, I'd appreciate it.

Ellen

Joy

Joy Report 1 Aug 2008 18:55

I think that there was a time limit, of six or eight weeks, not sure exactly.

As with all certificates of BMD registration, they are only as correct as the informant's knowledge.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 1 Aug 2008 18:55

yes there was ,and still is ,a time limit to register ,its six weeks ie 42 days. so registering her on the 13th mar and giving her birth as 1st feb was 41 days just inside the time limit, there was a fine for late registration

Amanda2003

Amanda2003 Report 1 Aug 2008 18:56

Sounds like you have worked out the answer Ellen.

It is the same conclusion that I would have come to.

The thing with certs.is that they are only as reliable as the people who gave the information to the registrar at the time.

I have a death cert for a great great aunt and her age and fathers names are both wrong.

Amanda