General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Central Heating cost question.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue

Sue Report 29 Oct 2008 12:38

Ok who knows the answer to this?

We had a new boiler installed 3 years ago so it's quite efficient but we rely on bottled gas which is horrendously expensive.

So is it cheaper to keep the heating on longer on a low setting (2) for 10 hours a day or turn it on for 2 hours in the evening on high (5). The low setting only takes the chill off.

As our income has halved we cannot spend what we did last winter which, with the price hikes in gas, would mean spending £154.00 per month! Then we had it on high for 1 hour in the morning and 6 hours in the evening.

I just cannot decide what to do and don't want to use the gas so quickly as we used to.

It's not as though I could jump up and down and warm up...lol

Sue x

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy Report 29 Oct 2008 12:50

Hi Sue

I've always been led to believe it's more cost efficient to leave it on low for longer/constant.

It surely must take more energy to fire up and get a cold house up to temperature - well my logic tells me so anyway lol

TOR

TOR Report 29 Oct 2008 12:51

Don't know the answer directly but I do know there was an article in the telegraph over the weekend advising people NOT to turn their heating off overnight or for any length of time.

The reasoning behind this might answer your question...It is takes more energy to heat up a house that has been allowed to get cold then it does to keep the ambiant temp steady.

Don't know what your situation is, but we have termastatic controls on each radiator which means the spare rooms are just heated to a very low temp whilst main areas of house are at a more comfortable level.

Hope this helps some

TOR x

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy Report 29 Oct 2008 12:51

Why don't you try one month on low for longer

and one month on higher for shorter periods

see which uses the most gas

Jax in Wales

Jax in Wales Report 29 Oct 2008 12:54

Low and longer Sue

Thats what me gasman told me when he came round for a service the other week.

Do you want me to bring you one of me furry throws on Thursday that will keep ya toasty.

btw its only fake fur no lil animals were killied in the making of it.

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 29 Oct 2008 12:54

my brother is a gas engineer and fits central heating

he says never turn the heating off set the thermostat and leave in on all the time

it cost more to keep turning off and get to temperature set than to leave it on low.

Sue

Sue Report 29 Oct 2008 13:01

Thanks for the replies we'll try leaving it on low and see how fast the gas disappears. Gawd these prices are not helping.

Jax - with all of us stuffed in my little sitting room I should think we'll be OK. I can always get Boo to sit on my feet to keep them warm!

*goes off to find hammer and 6" nails so she can't move* :-))))

Sue x

Edit: I am sure the Warfarin makes me feel the cold even more :-((

Janice

Janice Report 29 Oct 2008 13:05

Read your meter first thing in the morning and then last thing at night, using one method tomorrow. Then do the same again the next day using the other method. That way you are comparing over similar days of weather so it will be a fair test.

Is your water on the same system? It takes a lot of energy to heat water and keep it hot, so I wouldn't recommend you leave that on all day and night.

Janice

Sue

Sue Report 29 Oct 2008 13:18

Hi Janice,

It's bottled gas so no meter! It's a condensing combi boiler so hot water on demand.

The only gauge we have is OH rattling the tanks..lol

Sue x

Jax in Wales

Jax in Wales Report 29 Oct 2008 13:20

Sue im shocked!!!

You cant use a hammer and nails to keep her still, it will totally wreck ya flooring

use supergluue instead ;o)

Sue

Sue Report 29 Oct 2008 13:23

lol Jax but that'll ruin my carpet and I'll have to adopt her as a permanent feature ;-))

xx

Jax in Wales

Jax in Wales Report 29 Oct 2008 13:34

Damn you saw through my cunning plan pmsl

Merlin

Merlin Report 29 Oct 2008 14:38

Now we know why the Gas men are always Late,They,ve gone round to Jax for a Service.**M**,:o)))).pmsl

Jax in Wales

Jax in Wales Report 29 Oct 2008 14:41

lmaoooooo

Hal you are so cheeky to me!! lol

Merlin

Merlin Report 29 Oct 2008 15:04

Jax,As we know everyone has a different way of reading things,me having a Quirky sense of humour,read your post and cracked up with laughter.No offence was meant,but I just could,nt resist.**M**.:o))))))>.xxxx.

Merlin

Merlin Report 29 Oct 2008 15:12

Sue,as I understand it you use "Gas Bottles" would it not be worthwhile finding out the cost of a Large Tank ( Possibly the Supplier may provide one or rent you one) and buying in Bulk,Probably much cheaper,also, Its better to keep a constant temperature as it does,nt use so much to keep the house warm .**M**.

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 29 Oct 2008 15:32

sue ive got the same problem,i also have to have bottled gas,at the moment we are going through three bottles per month at £40 per bottle plus three bags coal at £10.50 per bag so i know where your coming from,..what i do is but the bedroom radiators on low during the day(just to take the edge off)living rm,dinning rm and living rm are on no4 but down to 2 if noone home,in the evening we have a coal fire and the heating on in the rms that are occupied,all doors are kept closed.x

Sue

Sue Report 29 Oct 2008 16:25

Thanks for the...err serious replies...lol

Merlin, our neighbours had a large tank installed but they could never afford to fill it! Plus we are tight for space so that's a no go.

Suzanne, the bottles are a shocking price aren't they? We are trying to source a cheaper supplier but they seem to act as a cartel and all support each others' charges.

Sue

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 30 Oct 2008 03:11

Hi Sue, did you read my post on another thread about putting foil behind the rads to help throw heat back into house instead of out through walls?
I would think if there are thermostats in the bedrooms, you could even just leave them on frost control during the day and boost them up for an hour at night or even have them on during the night on a very low settting depending how you like your bedroom temperature.
I really miss central heating, had it in my other house, then had it briefly before it all went to pot in the last house, and came here cos no hot water and just a gas fire, but o.h. has similar, by choice! Gas fire in lounge with open plan stairs by the side so a little heat goes up to landing and the main bedroom is above lounge, gas wall heaters in kitchen diner but he has things in front so can't use it, likewise bedroom, no heating in bathroom which is still being decorated etc but should be having a heated towel rail or some sort of heater in there when he has finished installing the shower over the bath and goes on to the next step, possibly next week when he has some more time off or mid Nov when he uses his last three days holiday. His company make them use their hols by Christmas.
My son's flat is lovely and warm, very good combi boiler in there so nice and warm, wish he would find a girlfriend to move in with and perhaps I could have his flat for a while lol

Hope you work out the best way to use the heating.

Lizxx