General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FAMILY CREST

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sarah

Sarah Report 29 Oct 2008 22:11

Hi, i have donr research into my family tree and wish to find the family crest for MIDDLETON but upon looking there are 20 maybe 30 different versions of the crest would anyone know how to find the right one as i am confued, many thanks sarah

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 29 Oct 2008 22:22

This site might be helpful

http://genealogy.about.com/od/heraldry/Heraldry_Coats_of_Arms_and_Family_Crests.htm

and particularly this
http://genealogy.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ/Ya&sdn=genealogy&cdn=parenting&tm=43&gps=212_1394_753_383&f=20&tt=14&bt=1&bts=1&zu=http%3A//www.fleurdelis.com/nofamilycrest.htm

I'm afraid that there is really no such thing in the UK as a family crest.
Such heraldic devices were awarded to individuals and descendants with the same name are not entitled to use them.

If you have found variations then possibly you've found the coats of arms of several individuals from the same family.

Sue

Sarah

Sarah Report 29 Oct 2008 22:40

great thanks, my intentions are to paint the crest for my father in law who got me into researching the family tree, just i want it to be the right one

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 29 Oct 2008 22:56

There isn't a right one Sarah.

There could be numerous coats of arms for the same name because coats of arms (of which crests are a part) belong to individuals.

Normally a son or daughter of a noble couple would end up with their own coat of arms which contained details of both parents' arms.

There are numerous sites online with pictures of coats of arms and offers of items decorated with them but these have no real meaning and are for fun only.

If you have managed to find a genuine ancestor who has the name you want then you could paint that for fun but no coat of arms belongs to everyone who has the same surname.

Sue

Maria

Maria Report 29 Oct 2008 23:18

Sue is right Sarah.

You may well see various Family Crests for sale, but these are either just for fun, or more cynically, to make money for the seller.

We don't really have family crests, they sound - and look - good, but they're phoney.

If you've shown an interest in your family tree and done a bit of research that in itself will be a gift to your FIL. And if you want to paint a crest to symbolise that research then that's fine, but don't waste time looking for the "right" one because there isn't one.

Maria x