General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice needed please......

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Izzy

Izzy Report 30 Oct 2008 10:36

Morning all,
Can i please ask how you think i should handle this situation.
During the summer my son was reported for having his foot on a seat on a train, he apologised to the guard, gave his details when asked for them and removed his flip floped feet immediatly.
The private security company who guard the train have decided to take him to court to prosecute him on a by law, he has admitted his wrong doing and is prepeared to pay a fine for his silly behaviour, but he will now be left with a crimminal record, which will prevent him becoming an instructor within the army (he qualified as a Royal Engineer in March this year), he is just 18 and has just embarked on his military career.
Do you think i should attend the court and tell the judge how unfair this is ,or should i write a character reference for him and send that to the court.
Any advice will be appreciated
thanks Izzyx

SallyF

SallyF Report 30 Oct 2008 10:43

I doubt if a character reference from a family member will help. After all we'd all write glowing ones for our kids!
What about one from a commanding officer?

Janice

Janice Report 30 Oct 2008 10:47

If he has paid the fine, shouldn't that be it? Just like a speeding/parking fine wouldn't give you a criminal record. He should get the legal advice from his army officers.

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 30 Oct 2008 10:54

Found this, seems that a lot depends on what area you live

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-458508/Put-feet-train-seat-criminal-record.html

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 30 Oct 2008 10:54

I would suggest Izzy that, as he has started his military career it would go down much better if he were to seek advice himself about this from his superiors. If he is doing well so far then they should be prepared to stand by him. I don't think it would go well for the court for his Mum to say what a good lad he is. You don't say how old he is but it would make him seem more mature if he were to handle it himself.

Ann
glos

SallyF

SallyF Report 30 Oct 2008 10:55

*cough*
He's 18 Ann.

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 30 Oct 2008 10:59

A bit more

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-news/breaking-news/2007/09/04/merseyrail-criticised-over-feet-on-seats-crackdown-64375-19733157/

SallyF

SallyF Report 30 Oct 2008 11:04

I think it's fair enough that he was approached about his feet. And as he then immediately took them off the seat and apologised an on the spot fine should, imo, have been the end of it. If he'd got stroppy and kicked off then a court appearance would be warranted but not in the circumstances Izzy gave us.

Izzy

Izzy Report 30 Oct 2008 11:29

That is exactly my view Sally, he has been bought up to be honset and responsible for his actions, that is why he appologised to the gaurd and removed his feet immediatley, as i said he is prepeared to pay a fine and realises his actions were silly, what is grieving me is that his honesty has got him into deeper trouble, if he'd kicked off and given false details nothing more would have happened, but because he gave his correct details he's facing futher action, as others have said an on the spot fine would have surficed and prevented uneccesary costs and inconvienience to many people.
He is dealing with this via his comanding officer, my question was just as an annoyed mum not as a pandering mummy who does not realise her son has made an error.

SallyF

SallyF Report 30 Oct 2008 11:32

Izzy I didn't mean you were a pandering Mum. I just felt the court would probably look at a letter from you and think 'well she would say that wouldn't she'.
Obviously you are annoyed, I would be. And in fact I will show my kids this thread and let them see why I nag them not to do things like put their feet on seats.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 30 Oct 2008 11:33

obviously a jobsworth of a guard - I am sure you wouldn't get a criminal record for such a trivial "offence" but I can see how worried you are

You could get legal advice by the way - you get a free session with a solicitor donlt you - I'm sure they would advise you

Times like this we need Eldred isnlt it

SallyF

SallyF Report 30 Oct 2008 11:36

Ann it wouldn't be the first time someone did get a record for this sort of thing. I think there was a case a year or so ago where a girl did have that happen. Mind you she did fight the case.

Izzy

Izzy Report 30 Oct 2008 11:37

Sally, thanks for your comments.
Hope that in a couple of weeks this will all be resolved, i know that his three younger brothers have learned how 'trivial' actions can cause untold aggrivation to many people.

Janice

Janice Report 30 Oct 2008 12:13

The article Claire posted about is interesting but also horrifying. The girl was a Scout leader, worked with disabled children and was training to be a teacher. All that would have been over if she was convicted. Surely if the police can do on-the-spot fines for speeding and driving on a mobile, which have the potential for killing someone, then surely Merseyrail can do on-the-spot fines for feet on the seats! Yes, this is anti-social behaviour, but hardly worth a lost future! Whatever happened to common sense and perspective?

Brian(i)

Brian(i) Report 30 Oct 2008 12:39

If he's already in the Army he MUST tell his Platoon Commander as soon as possible.
Brian(i)

Glenys the Menace!

Glenys the Menace! Report 30 Oct 2008 12:40

Oh, for goodness sake!!!!!

Is that all his "crime" was?

Tell you what: if your son would like to approach the guard in question, I'd very much like the guard to deal with the local yobs - show him what a real troublemaker does!
Good grief, after you'd mentioned the incident with the foot on the seat, I was waiting for the "problem" - and that was it ............?
Good luck Izzy, can't think of what else to say without getting banned ..........
x

PinkDiana

PinkDiana Report 30 Oct 2008 13:38

Surely this is the guards word against your son's? Unless there is photographic evidence of him doing so how can they proscecute???? As you say anyone can give a false name and address!!

Janice

Janice Report 30 Oct 2008 13:40

There is photo evidence - they wear head cams.

PinkDiana

PinkDiana Report 30 Oct 2008 13:44

you're kidding me right????

This is such a waste of tax payers money!!

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 30 Oct 2008 14:05

A bit OTT, a fine yes I agree. I hope it stays like that and wont give him a record though.

I hate seeing anyone with their feet on a seat.Why should anyone have to sit on a dirty seat with goodness knows whats been picked up on the streets and toilets etc yuck.
You pay for one seat, then they have the cheek to tut if you ask them to move.

Marion