General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I thought this odd--

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CATHKIN

CATHKIN Report 4 Nov 2008 12:22

Underground train drivers do not need driving licence nor do train drivers , it`s just something you presume they have , Ros xx

VIVinHERTS

VIVinHERTS Report 4 Nov 2008 12:34

Probably because they run on rails and not the public highway. They would be taught how to drive a train.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 4 Nov 2008 13:15

why would they need a road driving licence? driving a train is totally different. My son is a train driver and does have a road driving licence, but he underwent intensive training to drive a train

CATHKIN

CATHKIN Report 4 Nov 2008 14:08

Ann , that`s what hubby said to me . I just presumed they would need a licence - I know different transport , Ros xx

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 5 Nov 2008 09:27

Mac - my son has not been certified!!! there have been occasions when I think he should have been, but that's another story!!!

Ann X

Staffs Col

Staffs Col Report 5 Nov 2008 09:37

Lol I drove a warship before I drove a car - both badly!

Tallulah

Tallulah Report 5 Nov 2008 16:19

Ros, my brother in law is undergoing training to drive a train, it's a year long and he has exams all the time and has to get at least 90 per cent, I imagine it would be the same for the underground drivers'
Tallulah

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 5 Nov 2008 16:29

Underground drivers have to work the first 6 months on 1/2 pay while they learn the job

~Summer Scribe~

~Summer Scribe~ Report 5 Nov 2008 16:31

Dad drove armoured vehicles in the desert but he can't drive a car! LOL

Fiona aka Ruby

Fiona aka Ruby Report 5 Nov 2008 16:55

Victoria Line trains apparently don't need drivers, let alone licenced ones. Strange but true.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 5 Nov 2008 16:58

my son does overground trains - not underground - he went to Plymouth to train - first time away from home - he was a teenager and at one time was the youngest driver on the Welsh network - he works out of Bristol now

KempinaPartyhat

KempinaPartyhat Report 5 Nov 2008 17:03

Under ground train drivers have a train drivers licenece...they are trained then are tested ....and if the go through a red light 3 times they are out!!!

If you go through a red traffic light ...you get away with it as long as there is no cop

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 5 Nov 2008 17:30

unless of course there's someone coming the other way!!!!

Haribo

Haribo Report 5 Nov 2008 17:32

though it would be interesting to know how many of them do not have a licence

CATHKIN

CATHKIN Report 5 Nov 2008 18:45

I THINK THE GLASGOW UNDERGROUND MAY BE DIFFERENT FROM LONDON AS IT`S ONLY ONE LINE -WELL A CIRCLE ACTUALLY, Ros xx

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 5 Nov 2008 18:47

the rules and regs on the railway are extremely stringent - drug and alcohol tests carried out without warning and at random - good idea too!! Drivers are put through rules tests on a regular basis as well

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 8 Nov 2008 12:36

my son, train driver, has just informed me that the train drivers who do need a road driving licence are those employed on freight trains!!