General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The People's Hospital

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 6 Nov 2008 11:46

BBC1 last night, again tonight and twice a week. Did anyone watch it last night? It's a documentary about my local hospital Whipps Cross, where both my kids were born. Mum had all her treatment there and both my parents and others I know have passed away there.

I found last night's episode very moving, it was all about the children's ward and focused on a 13 year old girl who was in for 4 months after contracting meningitis.

Maz. XX

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 7 Nov 2008 02:17

Recorded this last episode and haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but the first one was very interesting - good to see that young girl get home on the walking frame. The staff seemed very caring.

Lizx

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 7 Nov 2008 09:35

Hi Liz, glad to know someone else is watching it!

I think it's like any big hospital - some bits/staff are better than others! I must say that mum had excellent care from all she came into contact with, but I have heard some tales from others that are the complete opposite.

Last night's episode was also moving, hope you enjoy it.

Maz. XX

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 7 Nov 2008 14:24

well well well,

I vaguely recall being in Whipps Cross,
remember having ultra violet light treatment, I think it was...must've been about 5 or Six? thats roundabout 1943/44 time?or even younger.....LOL, also could've have been for either a Mastoid op, hernia, or an underarm abcess, and at one time I had knee problems......could've been any of those......
will have to watch out for the program!!
Bob

valinkent

valinkent Report 7 Nov 2008 15:55

I watched it Maz ...both episodes very moving.
Shall be watching next week.

xx

Haribo

Haribo Report 7 Nov 2008 16:14

I watched it yesterday and was very surprised to see the Student Nurse being shown how to put a sheet on a bed. Usually, Student Nurses are shown how to do this and other basic skills an a 'skills training day'.....very interesting programe.

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 7 Nov 2008 18:49

I think, like the police, they are hindered in their work by the amount of red tape, paperwork and form filling. Hopefully this documentary may bring this home to the decision makers, and something may be done to free nurses up to actually nurse!
Maz. XX

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 8 Nov 2008 03:58

All hospitals have good and bad bits, I have not really had a problem with any treatment on the four or five times I was in our local hospital but have to say apart from outpatient check ups and such, haven't been an in patient at our new(ish) state of the art hospital, moved to just on the outskirts of Norwich. It has received lots of bad press tho, not enough beds the minute it was opened and more had to be added, lots of problems over staff parking, carparking fees, infections, stacking of ambulances at times and other problems. I have visited people who were in patients and was not impressed with the wards and standards of cleanliness etc at all, so hope I don't have to go in.

Lizx