General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

remember all those

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

KempinaPartyhat

KempinaPartyhat Report 6 Nov 2008 17:17

that were standing up for thier country dueing the wars that we have been through...

I have seen a thread for those who went to wars and how we should remember them .

Can I also say can we remember all those whom stayed behind ....
My grandad worked at The Royal Marsden Hospital running the equipment for his country. My other Grandad was running round London as he was an electrician and he would try to mend the power lines when they went down.

I know they didnt "fight" but the goverment decided not to call them to war coz their skills were needed at home ....

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 6 Nov 2008 17:20

They were as important as those who fought as the country would have collapsed without them add also all the women who worked in munitions, on the land, on public transport. then also remember the families who kept their sense of humour and kept up the morale.

We should remember all of those who went through the war years.

Ann
glos

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 6 Nov 2008 17:53

thats true, they did their bit,

but I wonder how many of them suffered taunts by people who had family members sent to war?

and labelled as Conchy's (Conscientous objectors)and such.....

Bob

KempinaPartyhat

KempinaPartyhat Report 6 Nov 2008 19:17

n for respect

DAVE B

DAVE B Report 6 Nov 2008 19:32

Yes my great grandfather lost his life on the Somme August 18th 1916 fighting alongside my Grandad who lived. God bless them all
Dx

Phyllis

Phyllis Report 6 Nov 2008 19:39

Also remember the Coal Miner and Beven Boys as they worked to keep the factories going so that they could make munitions.
God Bless every single person that did thier bit so we may be free.

KempinaPartyhat

KempinaPartyhat Report 6 Nov 2008 22:20

Yes the bevan boys have just been honoured by goverment ...and about time

KempinaPartyhat

KempinaPartyhat Report 8 Nov 2008 10:26

In memory

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 8 Nov 2008 10:37

my Dad was an engineer so he wasn't called up in WW2 thank goodness

One of my Dad's brother was killed at Mametz in WW1 - he was only 19 and so handsome just like my Dad - I shall be at our local Remembrance Day Service at our local library where there is a monument with his name on and then down to the church for a service.

I shall be placing a cross for him in front of the memorial as I always do - he'll cetainly not be forgotten by me even though I never knew him

Ann X

Jenxx

Jenxx Report 8 Nov 2008 10:48

My dad was a miner and mam worked in the
ammunition factory in Usk
Both gone now but they did their bit
RIP Mam and Dad

Brenda xxx

KempinaPartyhat

KempinaPartyhat Report 8 Nov 2008 11:18

My son is carrying his flag for St Johns Ambulance tomorrow and he said .........

People forget them who HAD to stay in the country ..it must have been hard for them to have to stay here when it was a tradition to fight .