General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do I get rid of iMesh?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Redharissa

Redharissa Report 21 Nov 2008 00:44

Hi, I'm hoping one of the techie people could advise how I can get rid of the iMesh toolbar which my dear son downloaded when I was out.

It has hijacked both my IE6 and Firefox and is still there even after I uninstalled it. I have run 2 spyware checks. AdAware picked it up and removed it and then Spybot didn't detect it at all. It is still there and I am at a loss as to how to prevent it from reinstalling itself.

I did attempt to googlesearch for methods of how to remove it but am wary to click on the removal tool links in case they are also dodgy. iMesh is preventing Google from working properly in any case.

I'll check back in the morning in case someone has an answer. Thanks.

Ron

Ron Report 21 Nov 2008 14:19

In Firefox go to Tools, Options and select your homepage from there. If iMesh has hijacked your browser and it still keeps appearing you need to remove it from the Registry of your PC, do the following and ONLY the following, messing about in the registry is very dangerous if you don't know what your doing.

Click on Start, then Run and in the Window that opens type regedit, click okay.In the window that opens click on the plus sign (+) at the left side of KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then click on the plus sign by software, in the list that opens look down that list until you see the word iMesh, right click on it then left click Delete, close the Registry window, that should sort it.

Ron
www.genealogyprinters.com

Redharissa

Redharissa Report 21 Nov 2008 17:30

Thanks Ron,

It was indeed still lurking in the registry, so I deleted it as per your instructions. Quite agree with your comments about using caution with the registry ;o)

Firefox is now back to normal - I didn't need to reset my home page, it went back on its own. All the iMesh branding has gone from Firefox too.

However, IE6 is still not quite right and, having run AVG, Spybot, and AdAware, I am now running AVG's V-cleaner (suggested by another GR member) to see if that hits the target.

Whatever nasty sneaked in with iMesh seems to have been set up to attack and corrupt Google and to slow everything right down.

I keep getting a "default search engine protection" warning page come up and the only way of losing it is to close it on the X rather than the option to keep my existing search engine. Any idea what that is about?

Carol

Carol Report 21 Nov 2008 23:03

Why use IE6 and Firefox, just use one the browser.

Have you still got a folder in your programs folder called iwash if you have delete it.

Carol

Redharissa

Redharissa Report 22 Nov 2008 13:13

I took part in a couple of schemes to put local history online and needed to have 2 different browsers to check whether web-pages display correctly in both.

Having Firefox has also enabled me to view 2 GR trees at once. I open the contact's tree in firefox and my own in IE6. I can't actually update my GR tree in Firefox though, I need internet explorer for that.

I checked for iwash and am pleased to report I don't have it.