General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

It looks very dark

Page 1 + 1 of 2

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

FootieAngel

FootieAngel Report 2 Mar 2013 21:33

My gramps used to say Billsmothers before he drew the curtains. I used to think Bills mother lived over the rd so used to take a sneaky peak at the old ladies house when i went out took me years to realise she werent Bills mother. Gave me a smile thnx.

FootieAngel

FootieAngel Report 2 Mar 2013 21:37

Helen i lived there 40 years and didnt know that though i knew it was known as the black country weird what we learn.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 3 Mar 2013 05:43

My late Dad would say the Will's mother's saying, and he came from Buckinghamshire. Don't think my Mum used it and she was a Norfolk girl.

'Up in Nellie's room behind the clock' was another saying if I asked where something was.

Lizx

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 3 Mar 2013 07:43

Bill's mother in Walsall and OH a southerner (born London moved at a few months old to Kent) also says Bill's mother's. 1 I've used he doesn't -

`Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs!` :-) This is for being surprised or confused, quite common these days.

Joeva

Joeva Report 3 Mar 2013 10:09

Dark clouds were described as 'black as Newgate's knocker' in our house, might be just a London expression. :-D

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 3 Mar 2013 10:19

Dad used to say, It's looking black ower bills mothers

Roy

Sue

Sue Report 3 Mar 2013 15:15

Black as the Ace of Spades is my version, and thats from North Herts.,

Sue :-D