General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Military Records

New military records

Was your ancestor a war hero?

View thousands of brand new military records, including Chelsea Pensioner records, Military Nurses, Prisoners of war and much more.

View military records today

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

For Aussies......and friends

Page 10 + 1 of 4053

1. «
  2. 11
  3. 12
  4. 13
  5. 14
  6. 15
  7. 16
  8. 17
  9. 18
  10. 19
  11. 20
  12. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Persephone

Persephone Report 17 Oct 2014 22:20

I remember one day in 4th form English someone had disrupted the class and was sent out of the room... and then the teacher said and if anyone else is thinking of behaving like that they can leave the room as well. So starting from the left that row all got up and walked out and then the next row etc until she had no one to teach. She did see the funny side of it.

Not so our science teacher in the third form, one of the girls leaned out of her desk to pick up something off the floor and the whole desk tipped over (the desks were single and combined with a lift up seat) .. we all laughed and she banned our class from attending sports day.

Tecwyn

Tecwyn Report 17 Oct 2014 22:16

Well I'm thinking of having a sort of Wedgewood blue (slightly paler)
then a pale grey on the chimney breast.

the Victorian cast iron fireplace, which is now purely ornamental will be painted matt black.

I hope that meets with the approval of the sisterhood

:-(

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 17 Oct 2014 22:11

You still haven#t told us what colours you are using. It has to be approved by us in the duchesses absence you know

Tecwyn

Tecwyn Report 17 Oct 2014 22:06

I have washed all the paintwork, and sanded where necessary. No ready to start painting.
The door and frame will be easy, but the skirting boards will be more difficult bending from a sitting position in the wheelchair.

I had one of the wheelchairs taken upstairs at the weekend so that I could get around the bedroom easier.

Once the glossing is done the room will be ready for the decorator

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 17 Oct 2014 22:02

Did you get your paintwork sorted out?

I just did some light dusting this afternoon

Tecwyn

Tecwyn Report 17 Oct 2014 21:50

I will google poodle skirts later - just so that I know :-)

Tecwyn

Tecwyn Report 17 Oct 2014 21:50

By the time I was old enough to be a teddy boy other things were happening in my life - apart from anything else I wouldn't have been able to afford the dress code, even if I was so inclined, which I never was :-D

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 17 Oct 2014 21:46

I just googled poodle skirt. I have never heard of one before

If you say so Tec

Tecwyn

Tecwyn Report 17 Oct 2014 21:37

What on earth is a poodle skirt,

the young ladies now don't wear skirts at all......just wide belts.

Linda I was too young to be a teddy boy :-)

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 17 Oct 2014 21:37

What on earth is a poodle skirt?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 17 Oct 2014 21:32

we had a head master at our school, ca 1956-ish who used to wear brothel creepers :-)

Our understanding was that they were known as such because the crepe soles were very quiet, and you usually could not hear people wearing them walking along ......... so you could creep around without being heard :-)

That's why the headmaster, creep that he was, wore them .................. he wanted to catch us doing wrong ...................

for example, talking in the library during study sessions.

He creep up to one of the library windows, peep in, and then suddenly appear in the doorway, point at someone and would immediately eject them as being a talker .........................

even asking a question relating to work was no excuse

............. at one point, there were more of us sitting at desks he had placed in the corridor outside the library, and in the balcony of the assembly hall than there were in the library :-)

At that point ................ the music master, who was trying to conduct lessons in the body of the hall, complained about the number of senior students in the balcony

so, we were all allowed back into the library ..................

and the whole darn process started all over again!

and Tec ................ the girls wore poodle skirts :-)

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 17 Oct 2014 21:30

Were you a teddy boy Tec?

Tecwyn

Tecwyn Report 17 Oct 2014 21:25

The Farmers Omelette sounds rather nice Persie.
Good that you will have friends in the Hamilton area.

Glad that your blood test was relatively easy Linda - I expect you rushed home for breakfast afterwards.

Sylvia - I was a teenager in the 50s, so remember "Teddy Boys" with their drainpipe trousers, drape jackets with velvet collars, bootlace ties, and thick crepe soled shoes, that were known as brothel creepers, why I can't fathom.

Bill Hayley and Rock Around The Clock was a big hit.

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 17 Oct 2014 20:51

It has been a lovely day today, quite warm and sunny. I had Meals on wheels to do. I ordered a strong knee brace from Ebay. It is the type skiers use, it was very good, just a bit sweaty after a few hours. I managed fine, but was very aware just how uneven some pavements were

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 17 Oct 2014 20:48

Hello Sylvia, I think the only time I have worn gloves isin the winter.

I was a teenager in the sixties. Way back then I was very slim and being tall I had nice long legs. I used to wear mini skirts which were extremely short. Looking back at photos I can't believe I walked around like that, but I was young and had the figure for it. Sadly that was long, long ago

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 17 Oct 2014 20:08

Hi everyone

Linda .................

Mum and Dad really didn't dress very much differently from many of their friends.

They had a few good clothes, and were very careful of them.

Mum was often tempted to buy more from where she worked, where she did get a discount ........ and then she'd run short of money by the end of the week :-)

What she did have was very good taste.

Dad usd to have, I think, one good suit ......................

which is very much like my OH!

OH only wears suits, or sports coat / blazer combo, when he is going out, or the latter to travel.

He has always worn a shirt and decent pants when going out to the uni .............. adding a tie every time he was teaching.

As you say .................... I think dress style changed from the mid-50s and into the 60s, and everything became much less "dressy"

In the late 50s, as a teenager, I never wear a hat when I went out ................ but my shoes and handbag would match, and I often wore gloves, summer and winter :-)

it's raining very hard today :-(

that's the 3rd storm this week

Persephone

Persephone Report 17 Oct 2014 11:32

I had a farmers omelette with bacon, tomato and hash browns for my dinner on the way home followed by a hot chocolate. I am not one to partake of hot chocolate much but have had one nearly every night for the last week or so whenever we stop at the Autobahn on the way home.

We will stay in Huntly tomorrow, we drove down the one and only main street of shops that it has and there is no shoe shop. Not a great variety of shops so can see myself going off to Hamilton and shopping there. My friend lives at a place called Te Rapa on the northern outskirts of Hamilton so will be seeing more of her. Now another friend from High School days tells me she is thinking of moving back to Hamilton. So there will be quite a few of us down this way.

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 17 Oct 2014 08:49

They look very smart Sylvia. I always think the clothes they wore made them look very old, not in your picture specifically but in general. It wasn't until the mid fifties that the younger generation seemed to wear different clothes, in my family photos anyway.

I am back from the nurse, she took one look at my arms and said"oh no, this isn't a good start to my day". Anyway she did manage to get the three phials she needed which was a great relief to me. Some times they put the needle in and have to take it part way out before pushing it back for another go. I end up with both arms bruised, then they resort to the back of my hand which makes a right mess.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 16 Oct 2014 23:47

Mum did work ............... and had to well-dressed s it was a high-class Ladies dress shop, so there were standards.

But she did like to look nice

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 16 Oct 2014 23:40

Linda .................

this was my Mum and dad at my brother's wedding in 1952 ................

not that much different from what Mum wore on special occasions. I think she bought a new hat

and the fox fur was only for special events, but the costume was "usual"

and that was Dad's usual "going-out" outfit.

He was Foreman in a brass finishing shop ..................... but he always wore a shirt with collar and a tie, and a trilby hat. He wore an older suit for going to work, and replaced the jacket with a knee length brown (I think) lab-type coat while working.