General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Military Records

New military records

Was your ancestor a war hero?

View thousands of brand new military records, including Chelsea Pensioner records, Military Nurses, Prisoners of war and much more.

View military records today

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

For Aussies......and friends

Page 5 + 1 of 3820

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 12 Apr 2014 10:42

Sorry Mersey - I had a phone call. I am fine thank you :-). I managed to get into the garden today and do some tidying up.

Mersey

Mersey Report 12 Apr 2014 10:18

Hi Sue im fine, still abit of catching up to do ;-) how are you <3

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 12 Apr 2014 10:17

Hello Miss Mersey - hope you are well :-D <3

Mersey

Mersey Report 12 Apr 2014 09:19

Hi one and all.... :-D <3 <3

Diane

Diane Report 12 Apr 2014 00:02

Quick post before I go to bed,

Linda glad to see you arrived safely and hope you have a nice break :-)

Hello Sue, I heard about the Cyclone on it's way on the news a couple of day's ago, I hope it doesn't cause to much damage for those in it's path.

Tec how nice for you to see the Duchess :-)
It is very sad when a couple have to be parted like you and the Duchess, I know how hard it was for my aunt and uncle after so many years together :-(

Berona I hope you are keeping well and not over doing thing's. how is Kitty :-)

I have been really busy the last 3 days, wednesday I spent clearing my aunt's front garden ( what a job ) yesterday and today I spent in the house cleaning, it has been very hard going and I am in a lot of pain because of it. My aunt's niece is coming up from Bristol tomorrow to see if there is anything she would like from the house ( not that there is much left ) mainly the large furniture item's but there are some crystal glasses she may like and my aunt's teddy that she had as a child. There was a lovely wooden jewellery box with marquetry that was made for my aunt, but this has been taken by the relative who has died so I'm guessing his wife now has it :-(

I wish I could win enough money on the lottery so I could buy the house, my aunt and uncle were the only people who have lived in the house, it used to be a council house and they bought it and they were the first tennants to live in it.

So much for a quick post :-D

Good night and enjoy your day all <3

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 11 Apr 2014 23:20

Goodnight Tec <3

Tecwyn

Tecwyn Report 11 Apr 2014 23:15

Well I must go bed now, been a busy day,

Enjoy your day Sue - hope the rain stops to let in the sun :-)

Hello Berona,

Goodnight,
Tec

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 11 Apr 2014 23:14

That's true, Tec. My mother would ask my father to do simple tasks and would get impatient until she realised he really couldn't do what she asked him to do. Mostly because he would forget what she had asked him and also he had forgotten how to do the job. Strangely I realised things were really bad when I found he wasn't reading anymore and he couldn't do his crosswords.

Tecwyn

Tecwyn Report 11 Apr 2014 23:09

That's the silly thing Sue - we don't tell anyone. Even my daughter on her occasional visits had no idea what was going on here on a day to day basis. The Duchess seemed capable of putting on a false front when daughter was here, and would relapse as soon as she went.
I found that hard to understand.

I think the illness creeps up on the sufferer too. Over time they lose the ability to manage the simplest tasks, and the partner dismisses it, until there is an obvious problem.

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 11 Apr 2014 23:03

It was certainly building up to you asking for help. Sometimes these situations creep up without us realising until one day it hits.

I didn't realise how hard it had been for my mother to cope with my father until after he had passed away and she told me so much.

Tecwyn

Tecwyn Report 11 Apr 2014 22:57

OH is unwell with the diabetes, that has never been stable :-(, and I think the resident nurse takes her BP as a matter of routine.
The visiting psychiatrist phoned me recently to explain the test to see if there is any underlying reason for her confusion, before she makes a definite diagnosis.

Yes Sue, I have known for a very long time that this situation was inevitable, but we try not to think about it.
As you know, I was struggling on to cope before I became ill, and probably would still be doing so if I had been able to, though I thought before Christmas that when the holiday was over I must get help. Events took over, and there was no alternative but for her to go into the home.
The suddenness of everything didn't help.

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 11 Apr 2014 22:46

Is the Duchess unwell? It was good that she was distracted as it would have been distressing for you both. It was good that you were able to see the Duchess something I'm know you have been longing to do for a long time.

I guess this is a situation that may arise for any of us but you don't really think about it while all is going well. I guess this outcome has been on your mind since you became ill.

Tecwyn

Tecwyn Report 11 Apr 2014 22:38

It is distressing when leaving, but just as I was about to leave a nurse arrived to take her BP, so that distracted her while I made my exit.
She is having a series of blood tests, and being taken to hospital for a CT scan soon.

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 11 Apr 2014 22:33

OH often takes people to see their husbands or wives in nursing homes and he says it always seems distressing for both both when one has to leave :-(

Tecwyn

Tecwyn Report 11 Apr 2014 22:28

Yes Sue, I am so glad that I went. She is not as happy there as I've been led to believe, but I suppose others were trying to protect me. There is nothing can be done, so I, and the Duchess have to live with it.
The staff there are doing their best for her.

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 11 Apr 2014 22:21

Oh I'm sorry it was distressing Tec although it was to be expected. You have got over that first hurdle that perhaps you were dreading but also looking forward to.

Tecwyn

Tecwyn Report 11 Apr 2014 22:17

Hello Sue,

I haven't heard anything about the cyclone - I hope things won't be too bad for those affected by it.

Today my brother, and SIL visited. They dropped me off at the nursing home so that I could visit the Duchess.
She was asleep on her bed when I arrived, but as it was such a lovely day here I suggested we went to sit in the garden for a chat.
It went quite well, if rather distressing for both of us.

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 11 Apr 2014 22:08

Hello everyone. Pleased to hear you have arrived safely Linda. Sounds like a very interesting city.

Still miserable here - I shouldn't complain with Cyclone Ita causing much concern in Queensland.

Tecwyn

Tecwyn Report 11 Apr 2014 21:55

You seem to have had an interesting first day Linda - good that the hotel is fine and up to your exacting standards :-D
Have a good day tomorrow, but don't make OH walk all over the city :-D,
Take care, and enjoy yourselves. :-)

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 11 Apr 2014 21:01

Goodnight everyone, I hope you are all well