General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Recieved an interesting....LATEST NEWS....

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 26 Nov 2009 11:25

............letter today.
It's from a Probate Research company(have googled to check them out)they are seeking to contact my husband(his name given & then his mothers name is given.
They have also stated the deceased persons name & claim to be retained by the Personal Representatives of the deceased in order to identify & locate potential beneficieries.

Anyone heard of them,they are based in London,so do we phone them,what would you do??
Hubby has looked at the letter & just put it to one side!!
We have been given the deceased persons name but we do not know her.

Joan / amokavid

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 26 Nov 2009 11:30

Hi
you havent given the name of the company. did you find them on Google. I would ring them if it was me as our tel number is witheld so they wont be able to ring back if it is suspect.
Would certainly ask them for details and how they got your address and who are the family and the connection to your OH.
By the way they may only want to speak to him re data protection.
Shirley

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 26 Nov 2009 11:38

Hi Shirley.
Yes found them on Google.
Not being at all familiar with London I really don't know if this is a true address,thought I would try next to locate on BT.com
Hubby says he will phone...all in good time...
If the letter had been addressed to me I would have phoned ages ago, LOL.

Joan

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 26 Nov 2009 11:43

You have nothing to lose by phoning them Joan. Like you, I would have done it like a shot! Good luck! BCXX

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 26 Nov 2009 11:46

They look genuine and they are even pinpointed on a Map
I know London having been born in SE london and worked for around 40 years in the City and one time near Holborn so yes the address they give is a genuine one.They look as if they have more than one Office in that area
My grandaughter works that side of London at the moment.

Liz 47

Liz 47 Report 26 Nov 2009 11:53

Perhaps the deceased person's name is their married name?????
Liz

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 26 Nov 2009 12:01

Oh wow,!!!
It certainly appears genuine !! they are acting for the deceased persons solicitors, the deceased person a cousin of hubbys Grandmother.
Oh gawd is this too good to be true?

Joan.

Rambling Rose

Rambling Rose Report 26 Nov 2009 12:30

That is so exciting! I would be prodding at OH to get cracking lol. Best of luck ,

Rose xx

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 26 Nov 2009 12:50

Heir hunters comes to mind!!

good luck Joan......hope it come out good!!

Bob

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 26 Nov 2009 12:55

Go for it.

My MIL and several other members of her family received a letter much like that a few years back. The estate was that of the unmarried daughter of her great uncle. She did not receive a massive amount of money - it was several hundreds, not several thousands. But, what I found interesting and very useful, was the info they sent out detailing the way the money had been divided up and listing all the names. It helped me quite a bit when doing her tree as there were lots of clues re marriages etc. So for that alone, it's worth it.

Jill

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 26 Nov 2009 13:26

I have found the deceased persons death announcement in the local paper,where se lived,she was 92 when she died in 2008,so born 1916,& the guy on the phone told us she was unmarried.
We have not heard of her before today,& though I have an idea where she might have been born I don't know the exact place,so looks like I shall have to purchase some credits for scotlandspeople & do a bit of searching around.
It is exciting.

Joan.

Wildgoose

Wildgoose Report 26 Nov 2009 14:03

This is very exciting!

I would lose sleep over this myself.

I'm bookmarking this thread so I do hope you'll keep us posted.

I promise not to send a begging letter!

This does remind me, though, of the time that my Dad was informed that he was a beneficiary of part of his uncle's estate. Dad was like a cat on hot bricks for weeks until he got the cheque. It was in the sum of £80!!!! My aunt said if Uncle had lived much longer they wouldn't have got that as he'd have drunk it all!

Neverbinrich Birdi

Annina

Annina Report 26 Nov 2009 14:25

Hi,for heavens sake don't keep us in suspenders,tell us the outcome. It is so exciting hearing of people coming to money.Of course,its sad that someone died for you to get it,but it sounds as if she had a good innings.

I wait with baited breath.

Nina from windy Sheffield.

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 26 Nov 2009 14:35

LOL, Mrscratchit.

I have told hubby to wait a while before he goes & orders a new car,we need some new windows first,lol.

Hi Rita,
I have already been on scotlandspeople but only located her brother so far.
Going to dig out hubbys family research that has been done,to see if I can find some clues,not done a great deal on his family because he would never cough up some cash to buy the certs, LOL.

Joan.

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 26 Nov 2009 14:40

Hi Nina,
Just as soon as I know anything more GR members will be the first to know, lol.
I have just emailed one of our daughters about the letter & phonecall,never seen her move so fast getting on the phone to call me.

Joan.

Wildgoose

Wildgoose Report 26 Nov 2009 14:48

LOL; I can just imagine.

That's the way to keep the children in touch.

Birdi

SheilaWestWilts

SheilaWestWilts Report 26 Nov 2009 14:52

Don't expect a quick response! OH had a solicitor's letter a few months ago, asking for a copy of his and his Mum's birth certificates. A cousin of his had died, intestate, about a year ago. They established the surviving relatives (about 14 in all, lots of cousins!) and we ended up with a twentieth of the estate. Got the cheque last week, it was a pleasant surprise as I'd forgotten about it!

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 26 Nov 2009 15:02

No I am not looking for results just yet Sheila,hubby has to send a copy of his B cert.
Hubby has fallen asleep can you believe,why don't men get excited,I wonder?

Joan.

Wildgoose

Wildgoose Report 26 Nov 2009 15:04

Wake him UP!!

At least you know how to get another birth cert if he can't find it LOL

Birdi

Annina

Annina Report 26 Nov 2009 16:35

Perhaps hubby is not excited because HE wont get to spend the cash!!