General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Recieved an interesting....LATEST NEWS....

Page 1 + 1 of 3

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MaggyfromWestYorkshire

MaggyfromWestYorkshire Report 16 Dec 2009 14:57

Have been wondering about you Joan. Glad you have solved the mystery of this lady. Isn't it good when things finally fall into place!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 16 Dec 2009 14:49

I am pleased that you have worked out where she fits into your family, I will look forward to following the rest of the story.

Sue (Sylvia Z )

Sue (Sylvia Z ) Report 16 Dec 2009 12:55

Glad you solved the mystery Joan. I hope you can use some of the money to treat yourselves.

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 16 Dec 2009 01:10

Aw Liz,thankyou for those kind words,that was so nice of you to say that.

It is rather sad not to have known the lady,I am sure though that hubbys mother would have known her & her brothers,such a pity that the older family members are now gone & we are unable to ask questions.
I will add to the thread once we know something new,probably have a long wait though.

Joan.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 16 Dec 2009 01:01

Joan, I am glad you have solved the mystery of the identity of this lady and can fit her into your hubby's tree. Shame he didn't know about her so that you could have met but lots of families like that, where you don't know or remember everyone.

I hope everything works out smoothly now and you soon get your inheritance.

Couldn't have happened to a nicer person, enjoy it when it turns up

Lizx

Theresa (Cork, Ireland) 157164

Theresa (Cork, Ireland) 157164 Report 16 Dec 2009 00:32

OOOh Joan,

sounds like an interesting story.... will keep an eye on the outcome!!

love T.x

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 16 Dec 2009 00:13

Just a wee UPDATE.......

Well I have been busy researching the lady in question & got the relevant info on her parents,I have got the certificate information I needed & have now been able to go back into hubbys tree & connect her to the his family.
Her Christian name at the time of death was not her birth / certificate name,but various records show she has been known by the "new" name for quite some time!
The deceased person WAS a cousin of my husbands granny,but we did not know her at all,but everything is fitting into place.
The informant of her death (& of her brother) are from the same firm of solicitors,so likely to be the ones dealing with her estate!.
All I have to do now is look after hubby, lol, & sit back & wait to see what the outcome will be!

Joan

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 28 Nov 2009 22:45

Surely if you are in for a bob or two it would be cost effective to register and get credits eh ???

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 27 Nov 2009 17:04

Hi Karen,
Certainly a surprise.The research company are not looking to sign us up to anything,they are actually working for the deceased persons Solicitors.
It may well be that the Solicitors will want a slice of the action,but we will just have to wait until they make contact again & take it from there.
We actually gave them 2 more names that they weren't aware of,so they have to contact them now.
Trying to work out where the lady comes in on hubbys tree,but working forward is not proving very easy.
I did a bit of googling & found her brothers death announcement in 2005,from the info given he doesn't appear to have been married.
I then did a search of 192.com & his name has come up as a Premium find! & also states his sister is at the same address.
However I cannot find anything more about them or get the address unless I register & buy credits,but I seem to recall seeing on GR boards that it's quite costly.

edited to add...whirley has located the lady on the E Roll for me,just before her death.

Joan.

Jane

Jane Report 27 Nov 2009 17:00

Not long after I was married in 1981,a letter came through my letter box with a cheque for nearly £2000 pounds!!!! .It had been left to me by a woman who I had no idea who she was.I rang my Mum to see if she knew the name of this lady,and it turned out she was my step Grandmother!!!!!!!!I was told she only saw me once when I was a baby,and I have no idea how they found me.
Strange things can happen lol

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Nov 2009 16:57

These probate companies must hate heir hunters Lol!!!!

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 27 Nov 2009 16:47

An interesting thread Joan....and what a lovely surprise, to be in line for a windfall. Sorry that someone had to die first, but you know what I mean, it's stuff we all dream of!! LOL
I was thinking along the lines of some of the others ref: the Probate Company's fee......give it some careful thought before you sign up with them, you might find you can do it all yourself and save on the expense!

Keep us informed.

K

Joan

Joan Report 26 Nov 2009 17:53

Hi Joan
Just book marking this thread BUT as we share a name ..........mmmmmm
Best wishes to you and yours
Joan (a pauper)

Annina

Annina Report 26 Nov 2009 16:35

Perhaps hubby is not excited because HE wont get to spend the cash!!

Wildgoose

Wildgoose Report 26 Nov 2009 15:04

Wake him UP!!

At least you know how to get another birth cert if he can't find it LOL

Birdi

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 26 Nov 2009 15:02

No I am not looking for results just yet Sheila,hubby has to send a copy of his B cert.
Hubby has fallen asleep can you believe,why don't men get excited,I wonder?

Joan.

SheilaWestWilts

SheilaWestWilts Report 26 Nov 2009 14:52

Don't expect a quick response! OH had a solicitor's letter a few months ago, asking for a copy of his and his Mum's birth certificates. A cousin of his had died, intestate, about a year ago. They established the surviving relatives (about 14 in all, lots of cousins!) and we ended up with a twentieth of the estate. Got the cheque last week, it was a pleasant surprise as I'd forgotten about it!

Wildgoose

Wildgoose Report 26 Nov 2009 14:48

LOL; I can just imagine.

That's the way to keep the children in touch.

Birdi

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 26 Nov 2009 14:40

Hi Nina,
Just as soon as I know anything more GR members will be the first to know, lol.
I have just emailed one of our daughters about the letter & phonecall,never seen her move so fast getting on the phone to call me.

Joan.

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 26 Nov 2009 14:35

LOL, Mrscratchit.

I have told hubby to wait a while before he goes & orders a new car,we need some new windows first,lol.

Hi Rita,
I have already been on scotlandspeople but only located her brother so far.
Going to dig out hubbys family research that has been done,to see if I can find some clues,not done a great deal on his family because he would never cough up some cash to buy the certs, LOL.

Joan.