General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Child Support Agency

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shazzlou

Shazzlou Report 1 Jan 2010 17:11

Has anyone had any experience with the CSA? 8 years ago when i was 5months pregant my husband left me and he also left me in debt! He was paying me some maintenance and helping pay off debts. Last year he lost his job and i know he had redundancy money and he had pension with company but we never came to agreement regarding money i was owed. Today he has informed me i wont be getting any maintenance anymore. I am now living with someone else and have been for last 2 years but i have been told i should have been entitled to cut of redundancy and his pension and i was thinking CSA would help (well thats what i have heard) Does anyone know??

Julie

Julie Report 1 Jan 2010 17:19

You might be best to either look on their web site or give them a call on Monday

♥†۩ Carol   Paine ۩†♥

♥†۩ Carol Paine ۩†♥ Report 1 Jan 2010 17:20

Do get in touch with them, tell then everything & hopefully they will tell you your rights & help you get something from him.

I know many run them down, but many more people are able to get the money to help support the children of parteners such as your ex.

Shazzlou

Shazzlou Report 1 Jan 2010 17:22

I probably should have got in touch with them earlier regarding his redundancy, he probably will have spent it all now!! Would be interesting to know if i am entitled to his pension though.

I just wanted us to come to agreement & keep things amicable!

Julie

Julie Report 1 Jan 2010 17:26

I hate the CSA myself, as far as they are concerned me and my 2 children can live on the street.......Its not that im trying to get money off my EX , my OH has a child from another relationship & its the amount he has to pay

♥†۩ Carol   Paine ۩†♥

♥†۩ Carol Paine ۩†♥ Report 1 Jan 2010 17:32

I know, been there.

Back nearly 40yrs ago, when there was no CSA to help, my ex was ordered to pay maintenance through the courts for me & our daughter. Sometimes it arrived, sometimes it didn't.

When the arrears mounted up, the court gave him the option to pay the arrears or they would send him to prison for 3months. He served the 3months!

Shazzlou

Shazzlou Report 1 Jan 2010 17:53

I know CSA can be quite hard on some people.
As i say i have been quite fair with him but now i feel that its wrong for him to just stop paying. especially as i suspect he has been claiming benefit as well as working!

Theresa (Cork, Ireland) 157164

Theresa (Cork, Ireland) 157164 Report 1 Jan 2010 21:54

Hi Shazzlou.

I had a mixed experience with the CSA and it was a few years ago....

Not sure about the redundancy but with regards his pension I'd say you probably wont see a dime. They will look at your family income (that with your partners and any other maintenance payments he/she might make), they will look at his income and that of his partners (if he has one) and make an assessment based on that. If he has a minimal pension and you and your partner have an income that far succeeds it you prob wont get much if anything.

The system is open to abuses like this.

My ex wrapped all his income back into his business once the CSA gave him a large figure; his accountant halved it within a month. Not fun when they took me off Income support one week and made me reclaim the following....... Whilst he paid his mortgage, car, a cleaner (his new wife) out of company expenses leaving his business looking very poor indeed...

It has to be worth a try anyway but dont get too stressed over it.

love T.x

TheLadyInRed

TheLadyInRed Report 1 Jan 2010 22:05

Shazzlou, I'd suggest that you get in touch with your local Citizen's Advice Bureau for some free, impartial advice

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 1 Jan 2010 22:10

Personally, I'd be inclined to go to the CAB first!
The fact that you now have a different partner will probably make a difference.

I had 'dealings' with the CSA years ago - my ex had a nervous breakdown and went to Australia. His second wife paid me half the maintenance I was due, but I didn't know his address. The CSA/Benefit agency then deducted 6 weeks benefit from me. They couldn't chase him as i didn't know his address, so they the wanted me to sign a form stating that he was violent and I was afraid of him!!!
I couldn't do this - I'm not a fool - and why should Iie for them?

....okay for one side to lie though!

Hard (financially) though it was, I'm glad I didn't sign their poxy form, ex and I are still friends - and he now teaches special needs children - something he may not have been able to do if the form was in existence!!

KempinaPartyhat

KempinaPartyhat Report 1 Jan 2010 22:11

Good Luck shazzlou .....

I used the CSA and it took two years which is quick to get money out of their dad......now I must say i called every tuesday and asked where my money was and slowly but surely they got it ...then his company said he didnt work there any more .....I know he did so took Photos and sent them to the CSA .......they took the company to task and I got the money back .....

Keep on at them is my advice

Shazzlou

Shazzlou Report 5 Jan 2010 18:09

Thanks to everyone for your help.
Because he is claiming dole money he says he will give me £20 a week!!

KempinaPartyhat

KempinaPartyhat Report 5 Jan 2010 18:21

£20.00 ..take it and give a receipt so u both have a copy ....

The CSA will give u £5.00 per week when hes on benefits!!! thats how it use to be