General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

new to this sort of thing

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Phillip

Phillip Report 6 Jan 2010 07:54

sorry if anyone is getting upset with a couple of questions i have added to "trying to find someone" at the moment i amnot quite sure what i am doing, so please bear with me, thanks for all the info tyhat everyone has already brought to my attention
thanks again

Charlie chuckles

Charlie chuckles Report 6 Jan 2010 09:21

You'll get used to it quicker than you think Phillip - don't worry, Good Luck

me

me Report 6 Jan 2010 09:21

Keep posting the questions

We all have to start somewhere
And Good Luck

Joy

Joy Report 6 Jan 2010 09:22

We are all on an upward learning curve :-)

Happy hunting.

TinaElizabeth

TinaElizabeth Report 6 Jan 2010 10:15

How polite is this man! I hope to see more of his threads he could teach a few on this site some manners. x

Annina

Annina Report 6 Jan 2010 13:13

Hi Phillip,welcome to a newbie.
As a relative newcomer myself,there seem to be two hangable offenses that you can commit here.

1, posting the same question on more than one board (it causes people to duplicate their efforts)

2,not answering helpers questions in a reasonable time,one accused me of keeping her up all night.

Other than that,the folk on here are absolutely brilliant,and go out of their way to help,so please don't be put off asking for help as I initially was when I comitted a cardinal sin,and was soundly thrashed and put on bread and water for six months.

All the best with your research,Nina from Snowbound Sheffield

Phillip

Phillip Report 6 Jan 2010 22:02

thanks for all the positive advice
keep up the good work
Regards
Phil

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~  **007 1/2**

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 6 Jan 2010 22:04

Personally I find some people can be a bit picky a times.

Welcome to the board Philip. By the way, I thought your thread made perfect sense. Nothing for people to get upset over in my opinion.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 6 Jan 2010 23:39

Hi Phillip,

As in life - there are a few 'Jobsworths' - but most are happy to help!

Cheshiremaid

Cheshiremaid Report 7 Jan 2010 02:12

Hi Phillip... when I eventually found the community boards after 6 months (computer illiterate) of being a member (2005) and asked for help... I was made to look really stupid at a reasonable question so I thought. It took me quite a while to post again.

As I became more knowledgable about the community boards and getting to grips with family history research I became able to do look ups for other members when ever possible.

However last year I was so frustrated looking for my elusive 3x gt grandmother I decided I would ask for help. I added as much information which I thought was relevant to my request...ooops...not enough information so I was told in no uncertain terms!

So it seems that which/what ever way..either a newbie or an oldie...you cannot win with some members!

There are so many other lovely people on here that are only to willing to help. Don't be put off from posting again.

Linda