General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FINDING A WILL

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 6 Jan 2010 10:10

Hi does anyone know of a way to access a will from 1999. I have recently found out that my husbands grandmother died in 1999. She deserted her 3 children when they were young and does not appear to have married between that time and her death. She never married their father.
It's just a niggle but wondered if their were anymore family members that we were unaware of.
Thanks
Cheryl

Helen in Bucks

Helen in Bucks Report 6 Jan 2010 10:28

If this was England/Wales and probate was required (it isn't always) then you can obtain a copy of the will and the grant of probate from HM courts service. There is a charge. Obviously this assumes the person involved left a will, many people don't.

This website should give you the information you need:

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/cms/1226.htm

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 6 Jan 2010 11:22

Thank you Helen. I will give that a try. I have never had anything to do with wills etc before so didn't know where to start.
Cheryl