General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Honest, outspoken or just plain rude........

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 6 Jan 2010 10:18

................................is there a difference?

Sue xx

Stevie

Stevie Report 6 Jan 2010 10:31

It depends on what you want to say & how tactful you are about it.

Steve
:o)

Rambling

Rambling Report 6 Jan 2010 10:36

" Blooming heck your as big as a beached whale" is rude

"you really need to lose weight " is honest and outspoken

lol

Fiona aka Ruby

Fiona aka Ruby Report 6 Jan 2010 10:36

Yes, there is a difference. Honesty doesn't mean rudeness.

Annx

Annx Report 6 Jan 2010 10:36

How something is received depends a lot on how you communicate it, your body language, manner and the words you use. Also whether the recipient really listens to you or whether they assume what you mean rather than listen to what you say.

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 6 Jan 2010 10:38

Well, it would appear that some people can be rude and get away with it and then some people are just honest and are apparently in the wrong. So I'm feeling a little confused at the moment.

Sue xx

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 6 Jan 2010 10:49

That sounds about right, Lynda.

Sue xx

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 6 Jan 2010 10:54

For example....

Honest: After careful consideration and a lot of thought, I have reason to believe that you are, in fact, a nasty piece of work.

Outspoken: I don't give a **** if I am banned but I think, and so do most of my friends, that you are a nasty piece of work.

Rude: You are a nasty piece of work, a low ***mbag, a ***t and an *****ole,and so was your mother and probably your grandmother..

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 6 Jan 2010 10:56

Actually that's honest, outspoken and rather rude of you BC - but I like it:-))

Sue xx

Annx

Annx Report 6 Jan 2010 10:58

Again, its all about how you put it.......

You are a fat lazy slob.......................rude, the person will feel this is a personal attack.

You really need to lose weight.........outspoken, the person may feel told off and criticised.

Your health would improve if you could manage to lose a bit of weight........... ........................................honest and the person can see a benefit without feeling criticised.

By the way I do need to lose some weight!!

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 6 Jan 2010 10:58

I DO hope you realise that I was not referring to your good self, Sue? It was merely hypothetical:-))) lol BXX

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 6 Jan 2010 11:08

So do I Ann - need to lose weight that is:-))

BC I didn't think for one minute you were referring to me lol

I'm off to bed and I expect - no demand - that I be enlightened in the morning:-))

Sue xx

*~~*Posh*~~*

*~~*Posh*~~* Report 6 Jan 2010 12:04

I love B.C.'s examples... :-))))

I tend to be honest and sometimes outspoken in the real world but never rude... On the internet I tend to hold back a lot as people could quite easily take what I say as rude. Not being able to see body language makes it difficult to put across how you mean things to sound. xx

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 6 Jan 2010 12:10

Love BC's examples even if tongue in cheek. However Posh is right something said in real life may be taken as being honest while on here minus body language it is either blunt or rude.

And I dislike intensely when somebody prefaces something with 'I say it like it is' Or, 'I speak my mind' then proceed to be blunt or rude.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 6 Jan 2010 12:35

If someone has asked for your opinion Lynda that is different and saying it kindly like it is is no problem.

Some people like to say it like it is when it verges on rudeness (and I am not getting at anyone in particular, or even particularly talking about on GR), that is when it can be unkind or unpleasant.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 6 Jan 2010 12:36

Strangely, I don't like confrontation and tend to pussy foot around a bit, however, when at work one of my reports had that I was too brusque with my junior colleague which she found upsetting, I had not realised I was like it, just thought I was putting her right about things!

Annx

Annx Report 6 Jan 2010 13:52

I think there is a point in 'dressing up' the truth as you put it at times Lynda, to get your point over in a way that is respectful of people's feelings. People respond to that in a better way.

Also, before you open your mouth, you have to ask yourself at the start what you want the result to be. When I worked I found it far better to discuss what a staff member had difficulty with in their job and help them find better ways to do it far more effective than just telling them they were slow or not as good as the others!!

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~  **007 1/2**

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 6 Jan 2010 14:26

To answer the original question, sometimes no. People can be honest & still get their point of cross with tact which in my opinion is less hurtful and often is more effective. However, sometimes people are rude using the excuse that they are being honest/outspoken.

Merlin

Merlin Report 6 Jan 2010 15:24

Wife to Husband, " Does my Bum look big in this?" husband to Wife," No dear it looks just as big as it usually does" Question, Is that a complement? or grounds for divorce?.**M**.pmsl.

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 6 Jan 2010 20:27

Merlin - that was a thread killer if ever there was one:-))

Thanks for all your replies. I think body language is a big thing. I have done courses on communication (with ill patients) and a lot of time is devoted to body language.

I think honesty can be put across with tact providing it's not sugar coated so much that the other person misses the point.

I have read rudeness on here that can't be taken as anything else - it verges on nastiness and has nothing to do with lack of body language. The message comes through loud and clear.

Sue xx