General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Registering an illegitimate child 1900

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Wildgoose

Wildgoose Report 6 Jan 2010 12:21

I would appreciate your thoughts on this. We have Mary Ellen who was estranged from her husband and had two children by Fred. Fred was named as father on the 1st child's cert but not the second and she had her mother's married name. By the time child 2 was born Fred was in an Asylum. Would I be correct in thinking that Mary Ellen couldn't name Fred as the father as he couldn't go to the RO with her? I assume she didn't tell them that she was married to someone else!
Both Mary Ellen and her husband married others so I am thinking they were both bigamists.

Birdi

Fiona aka Ruby

Fiona aka Ruby Report 6 Jan 2010 12:35

Yes, I think that you're probably right. Fred could not be named as the father as he couldn't go to the RO with her.

★♥*¨¨*Little Ann*¨¨*♥★

★♥*¨¨*Little Ann*¨¨*♥★ Report 6 Jan 2010 12:38

Yes probably right to assume that ... to register a childs birth when the parents aren't married requires both parents to attend the registration. Hope this helps :)

Wildgoose

Wildgoose Report 6 Jan 2010 12:38

Thanks Fiona; thanks also to Little Ann. I think that's what happened then.

Fred was visited in the Asylum by 'friends' in 1903. In 1904 Mary Ellen remarried without divorcing her husband. I think she may have wanted to find out if there was a possibility he would get better. He didn't, though.

By 1911 husband number 2 seems to have vanished. Poor old Mary E didnt' have much luck with men!

Birdi