General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How bad are your roads??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gillian Jennifer

Gillian Jennifer Report 7 Jan 2010 08:13

For the first time for as long as I can remember the snow is that bad my car has to stay at home. The main roads are just passable but the side streets and the cul-de-sacs are snowed under. I support four ladies and bless them, they are actually housebound beause of this snow.

Gillian Jennifer

Gillian Jennifer Report 7 Jan 2010 08:29

I am not far from you, I am in Blaydon, and yes, all the schools are closed here, but I work in Support and we just must get to work, so with my knackered hip I will walk, a ten minute stroll for a fit person, but for me, wait and see......

Gillian Jennifer

Gillian Jennifer Report 7 Jan 2010 08:39

Will get a new hip eventually, usually I cope, but with this snow, no cars, so walkies!!

Gillian Jennifer

Gillian Jennifer Report 7 Jan 2010 08:44

well the cream is on, the tablet taken, the spray to hand and I am off, have a warm, safe dayxx.

R.B.

R.B. Report 7 Jan 2010 10:44

Hubs had to park his car on the main road as our estate is so hilly.
The roads are so dangerous here ~i have not been out for over a week.

Take Care all.

xxx

Kate

Kate Report 7 Jan 2010 19:23

I've put my alarm clock outside because it's got a temperature thing on it so I'm going to see what it's like in an hour's time!

I think it is making it difficult to get things done - we have sadly had to have our cat put to sleep and the vet rang to say that her ashes were ready earlier today, but it is quite a walk to the vets and our road is frozen up so I hope I can get the car out, otherwise I'll have to phone and ask if they'll keep them a bit longer until the ice gives. And also, I (and I'm sure other people do, too) have got work that I need to get done so I need to get out to get materials, but when I got to my stockist today they were closing early because of the weather - I bet it is keeping a lot of people in.

I think there are going to be a few schools closed tomorrow, too - my old high school had a huge catchment area and some pupils lived out in the countryside where the service buses were every two hours so they all got sent home.

It did occur to me how fed up retailers must be - I can imagine the New Year Sales might carry on a bit longer than normal to compensate.

Jean (Monmouth)

Jean (Monmouth) Report 7 Jan 2010 19:52

We did a good shop last week so arnt badly off, but will need more in a few days and the forecast is bad for Monday. Most along here are over 70, some 80's and a couple of over 90. So far I am the only one who has rung around to see if anyone need what I have plenty of. I baked bread yesterday so had four half loaves I could have spared, and long life milk, but like me old hands at country living so well stocked up. No officials have contacted us to fing out how we are. We cant get our car out of the car park, there is nowhere to push the snow to except in front of other peoples garages!

Kate

Kate Report 7 Jan 2010 20:32

Thanks, Maz - I think they probably will understand at the vets, and they only phoned today as it was, so I will just have to see how the roads are. (Just realised, I haven't actually driven anywhere since about the 15th of December - in fact, I think we've been using the other two cars for preference.)

I've checked the freezer and we have got a lot of food, so I can always defrost things. (Just brought the clock in from the window and it said -5.5 degrees C.)

Annina

Annina Report 8 Jan 2010 00:07

The road outside my house is 5ins deep,even though it is a bus route.

Tuesday,my OH was supposed to go to hospital for a pre op check up but couldn't get there,no buses or taxies.

This means that his long awaited hip replacement will be delayed.

The trouble with Sheffield is there are no flat places,and all the hills seem to go uphill.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 8 Jan 2010 00:25

Same problem here, Nina. Hills!
I live on the corner on the crest of a hill - downhill either side of me.
A gritter came and gritted the corner - fat lot of good that is, a car tried to get up the hill and slid back down before it reached the corner!

I just hope I'm not expected to go into work tomorrow - my legs still ache from the trek yesterday!
Why do the 'powers that be' think it's easier/safer to walk? I don;t drive, and if the bus can't run, why should I be able to walk?

Work is 1 and a half miles away - and I have at least a half mile walk before I reach gritted roads - and pavements still 3 inches deep in ice!

Gillian Jennifer

Gillian Jennifer Report 8 Jan 2010 07:48

Yessssssss, they got it wrong, thick snow here and car snowed in, but they said it would snow over night, and hey! it has not xx fingers crossed it stays awayxx..

Jane

Jane Report 8 Jan 2010 08:36

I'm travelling from Portsmouth to Bolton Tomorrow so I hope the main roads will be clear. I must say i'm Not looking forward to it.

Jane

littlelegs

littlelegs Report 8 Jan 2010 08:55

hi all
wainfleet in lincolnshire not good even the school has closed [and it never does that no teachers]
look after yourselfs
all the best lorraine

cannienannie

cannienannie Report 8 Jan 2010 15:53

i am up here in mossley, im on the pennines , and i hav,nt been out for 2 week,,,,its like hibanating for the winter, i just had an email from my couson in australia, she said its a 100 in the shade, happy new year to you all

MayBlossomEmpressofSpring

MayBlossomEmpressofSpring Report 8 Jan 2010 17:38

Hi Cannieannie, I'm just over the hill from you in Broadbottom, down in the valley, 200ft from the village near the river and are snowed in but well stock and will be staying in for the duration. We had a 'phone call from our famous Council (Social Services) this morning, checking we were alright, wonders will never cease, no grit box though, was told they were cutting back, this was before the snow came and we have to get down one unadopted rough, to say the least hill, and up 200ft to the main road through the village. Beautiful in Summer though, and picturesque even now from inside.

Jean (Monmouth)

Jean (Monmouth) Report 8 Jan 2010 19:00

Managed to get out today and the supermarket was crowded with folk, couldnt get any bread flour so had to buy bread. There are a lot of new potholes in the roads, so take care . Temperature now is -6.2 and going down.