General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The new crochet magazine

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ann

ann Report 7 Jan 2010 11:36

Has anyone bought it?I tried to get it yesterday and all sold out.If anyone has it,has it got a e-mail address where i can order on line?
Annie

Margaret

Margaret Report 7 Jan 2010 11:44

Keep your eye open for the advert again and quickly spot the title of the magazine then you can 'google' it and perhaps find an email address that way.

Julia

Julia Report 7 Jan 2010 11:52

Grannie of 10, I have a thread on Chat about this.
But, OH has been to all the supermarkets around here, and cannot get me a copy. We only have the odd little newsagent around here, and can't get to them because of the weather. It is called Teach Yourself To Crochet
Although I am not a beginner by any means, I did want to have a look at it.
Lots of luck
Julia in Derbyshire

ann

ann Report 7 Jan 2010 11:52

Thanks ladies.
Annie

Lady Cutie

Lady Cutie Report 7 Jan 2010 12:24

Grannie of 10 .
i have a copy which i got the other day ... the e-mail addy
www.theartofcrochet.com. or phone them on 0844 493 5419 at national rate and ask . or e-mail [email protected]
the address if you want to write is
The art of crochet freepost NEA9013 ,Jarrow NE32 3BR
Oh just seen another addy ..www.hachettepartworks.co.uk
Hazelx

ann

ann Report 7 Jan 2010 12:28

Thank you Hazel.I can knit anything but crochet i cant.Feel like i want to give it another try.
Annie

Lady Cutie

Lady Cutie Report 7 Jan 2010 12:35

LOLyes me too Grannie i can knit to a fashion lol
but crochet no , but i found the foundation stich very easy to do ...
but keeping it all in one tension not so easy lol .
if you want Grannie i could phone my local newsagent up and see if he has one in .
Hazelx

ann

ann Report 7 Jan 2010 12:41

Thanks Hazel for your kind offer.I am going to try and get to Hobby craft this afternoon.Its just up the road.They do all wool etc so they may have it.Will let you know
Annie

Lady Cutie

Lady Cutie Report 7 Jan 2010 12:45

O.k Grannie ,
if you cant get it let me know ..
Hazelx

LindainBerkshire1736004

LindainBerkshire1736004 Report 7 Jan 2010 12:51

Please ladies be aware of how expensive these books become There are 120 of them at £2:99 or more The blanket will cost you nearly £400 !!!

The library might have books. Or even Hobbycraft should have a beginners book.

I know I have some that are probably 40 years old, yes I do keep things. My Nan taught me.

Linda :o) XxX

Lady Cutie

Lady Cutie Report 7 Jan 2010 13:04

Hi Lindain Berkshire 1736004,
i have only got the first one and wont be buying any more
because as you say it is expensive .
I only wanted to see what it was like .lol
Hazelx,

Julia

Julia Report 7 Jan 2010 13:17

I too only want to see what it is like.
Years ago, when I worked at a printhouse, we sometimes did these part-works. The first half dozen would be printed by us, then, when the publication went 'national', it went to larger printhouses. By then,they were not on general sale in the newsagents, but had to be speciallly ordered from them.
By the time you had collected them all, it proved to be a very expensive hobby.
Julia in Derbyshire

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 7 Jan 2010 13:35

My d i l has just bought the first one, she says it looks quite good. But you can get loads of these types of books in CHARITY SHOPS, don't go out buying new ones!!!! crocheting is easy to learn and "how to do sections" are in most books, you then make your own patterns idea's up or look on lne for idea's...get wool from the charity shops to start with aswell, or tell me where you live l have loads!!! lol
Must admit there are some lovely things to be made:o))

jude :o) x

Annina

Annina Report 7 Jan 2010 14:03

Hi Gran,I think the crochet mag you mean,is advertised in my Sew Hip mag that I bought this morning.

It is called,Inside Crochet,but it looks to me ,to be for experienced crafters.

Yesterday, I googled "crochet pattern books" on Ebay,and lots of scrummy things came up,not too expensive either.I ordered some,and also a full set of aluminium crochet hooks for less than £15.

Linda is correct about the cost of ordering full sets of magazines,I've fallen into that trap myself before.

Good luck with your new venture,Nina

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 7 Jan 2010 16:35

O.h. got me one the other evening on his way home, from one of those open all hours shops. It isn't too bad for the price of 99p, a hook, instruction dvd and booklet and two balls of yarn, one for practising and one to make the first square. I will try and get a second first copy to get the two balls of yarn again and then might order the 2nd copy at £1.99. If you order and pay by direct debit, you get the third issue free and then get a bundle of four issues at £2.99 each with other patterns and yarn and lots of containers for yarn, a sort of magazine rack type holder for your work and other things, then I would cancel the order and direct debit. Or I might just get the £1.99 one and stop there.

Just had a call from my cousin and the phone is on the blink, a long trilling ring instead of the usual one and a dreadful noise in the background of the call, not from her but she could hear it too.
Of to ring bt and see what's happened, no doubt it will be blamed on the snow!

Don't get too crochetty if you can't get the mags girls!
Lizx