General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Slow cooker recipe

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sidami

Sidami Report 7 Jan 2010 23:10

Hi
I have just got a slow cooker, any one else have one, if so what sort of things do you cook please.

Treehunter

Treehunter Report 7 Jan 2010 23:24

I do stews mainly in mine, can cook meats or fish with sauces etc.

Meat does so nice in them.

I am going to try other things like rice. after a recipe book on it. Did you get a small recipe book with it?.

Hazelx

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 8 Jan 2010 00:41

there were some threads about crockpot recipes somewhere.....(google crockpot recipes)
a little while back...
ours is currently making us a steak n kidney n liver n veg n dumplings n barley n things stew, its on a timer to start at 7 in the morning.....
Bob

Persephone

Persephone Report 8 Jan 2010 02:05

I've cooked corned beef in mine along with all sorts of casseroles. Have done Macaroni cheese in it and my friend did lasagne. My SIL does a sort of roast chicken and veg in his. There are heaps of recipes - did you not get a booklet with your cooker. You can make cakes and soups and puddings in them - not that I have tried .
As Bob says google - slow cooker/crockpot recipes.
I in fact adapt any old casserole and put it in the slow cooker and then take yourself out for the day and when you get back it is ready for dinner.

Persey

JustJean

JustJean Report 8 Jan 2010 12:19

Sue We cook lots of stuff in ours, at the moment there is a ham in and we often do pork chops or joints, big hearty stews are great just throw any veg cut them roughly to the same size so they cook evenly, chilli is good , chicken,the list is endless, google slow cooker recipes there are lots.... let us know what you make nice to swap ideas...

Jean x

GRMarilyn

GRMarilyn Report 8 Jan 2010 12:27

Sue,
Just one tip......try not to keep peeping, as once you take the lid off its slows it down.

Mistake my sister kept doing and it took days to cook ..LOL !!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Jan 2010 15:23

Make sure the veg is under the meat and mushrooms etc and make sure if 'casseroling meat, to cover it with sauce/gravy so it doesn't dry out. I often use a cooking sauce for convenience and this works well. I prefer to cook my veg separately as I don't find the slow cooker always cooks them properly, so I steam carrots and add to the casserole before serving. Chicken thighs in a cream mushroom sauce works well, as does lamb in 'Spanish' sauce. I cook mince in a bolognese sauce, leaving it on all day on low and it is beautifully cooked for bolognese. Or cook in a chile sauce to serve with rice. Or a curry sauce for curry with rice. These are some of the easy things I do.