General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

No Work No Pay

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jean

Jean Report 8 Jan 2010 10:15

The last couple of days I have not been able to get to work because of the snow, very dangerous underfoot and trains being cancelled , so I don't get paid, just wondered if when a football match gets cancelled because of bad weather do footballers get paid .

Fed up with snow jean

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 8 Jan 2010 16:24

Tried this on me last year, Jean - and I work for a Council. We could either take unpaid leave or leave.
What really irked me, was that a lot of managers have the facility to work from home - they were told to stay there, as it was so dangerous - but we admin were expected to get in!
I pointed out to HR that this was a bit discriminatory and classist - if it was deemed too dangerous for managers (who could afford 4 wheel drive cars) were we admin expendable - was it a case of it not mattering if we were injured?
Also pointed out that, although I lived under 2 miles away, no buses were running, and if buses can't run, why should they assume I could walk?

This year, we were told to take work home and stay at home yesterday.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Jan 2010 17:02

When I worked for MOD as a Civil Servant we used to have a rule that if one person got into work from an area then all the others from that area didn't get paid if they didn't get in. And we had one female who walked about 5 miles in deep snow to get in (she was not popular.) We also used to have another rule. We had to report to the nearest place of work. This was in Bedfordshire on the Herts border so we had people coming into work who worked in London Civil Service who lived in our area.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 8 Jan 2010 18:24

Hi Ann,
We're meant to get to our nearest office - mine is where I work!
As all minor roads, and council estates (strange how it doesn't apply to private estates) around here haven't been gritted, it makes it a bit difficult!
Also have colleagues who work where I work and live down the hill and round the corner who can get in a lot easier than me - the clue is in the 'hill' - it's lethal!
Yesterday the council gritted the corner of the road at the top of the hill - but I saw a car attempting the hill - it didn't reach the grit - just slid back down!

Silly Sausage

Silly Sausage Report 8 Jan 2010 18:42

No idea about footballers Jean, if they didnt would they miss it? Unlike us, there is a lot of humming and arring at our place some have already been credited for 1 day some havent , I am not bothered over one day I will use a leave day.

Silly Sausage

Silly Sausage Report 8 Jan 2010 18:44

Maggie we are meant to get to our nearest office if in walking distances of 1 and half miles,

Jean (Monmouth)

Jean (Monmouth) Report 8 Jan 2010 19:26

In 1973 We were unable to get the car out of our mile long drive, so I walked the 8 miles to work. One of the drs saw me on his way out to visit a patient and got cross because I hadnt stopped him, but he was going the wrong way! Got a lift home, but still had to walk the mile through deep snow. Was I glad to get home.

McB

McB Report 8 Jan 2010 20:24

Iv'e worked for myself for the last 44 years, no work no pay, focuses the mind,

I started out with nothing,

& iv'e got most of it left, lol

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 8 Jan 2010 20:31

Dear All

Hello

We were all told if could not get into work the days would be deducted as annual leave.

Some of us that managed to get there were even asked to stay on
and do extra hours regardless of how we all were going to then get home.

Take care all
Very best wishes
xx

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 8 Jan 2010 22:19

Sometimes it's impossible!
Seems incredible that they put a blanket 'you must', when, in reality, people are of different health and fitness levels and one road may be passable whereas another, 50 yards away isn't!
Bleedy management should get out of their 4 x 4's and try walking it themselves!
I am perfectly healthy, but had to have a knee op after last February's snow - I tore the cartilage in my knee.
I'm perfectly capable of walking long distances in dry weather, but tend to catch the bus if it's raining - as for walking on an ice rink - my knee, quite frankly, can't take it!
I don't drive (when I started work it wasn't compulsory) and even if I could there's nowhere to park, and I don't earn enough to run a car anyway!

Wildgoose

Wildgoose Report 8 Jan 2010 23:23

I'm unemployed at present (although I have a job in sight now) and was told I MUST sign on today despite the fact that where I live is an ice rink. It's a private estate but we get no grit! I walked the mile home from the bus stop on sheets of ice.

My husband is self employed and sat in his office at a temperature of 12 degrees on Monday and nearly froze. I told him he should have given up and come home, but he's a trier!

Birdi