General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Have you ever......

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~~ Jules in Wiltshire~~

~~ Jules in Wiltshire~~ Report 8 Jan 2010 11:30

was just wondering if any of you have found out something about a close member of the family that has made you think differently about them??
I recently found out something about my grandfather that has blown my world apart!! I worshiped the ground he walked on, he was my favourite grandparent.. He died 1982....But having found out about him I feel that I have had my heart stamped on...He is not the man I thought he was....

Jules xx

Poolie Girl

Poolie Girl Report 8 Jan 2010 12:07

Hi Jules

I've never discovered anything that made me think worse of somebody, in fact the opposite.

I am so sorry you feel crushed by what you uncovered. Are you certain it's factual and do you know ALL the circumstances. There may be some mitigation, needs must, and all that. Try to remember your grandad how he was to you, not others. I bet he worshipped you, too.

Beth :)

~~ Jules in Wiltshire~~

~~ Jules in Wiltshire~~ Report 8 Jan 2010 14:17

I have the facts Beth..I just cant forgive him for what he has done..Its a really bad thing...xx Yes he loved my sister and I to bits...x

Annina

Annina Report 8 Jan 2010 14:17

When my Dad was only just starting with altzeimers,he let on that when my Brother and I were in a 'convalesent' home,we had actually been removed by social services because mother couldn't cope with two sick children.

This resulted in me losing a years proper education.which I never caught up on.

I feel very bitter about this and can't forgive either of them.

PollyPoppet

PollyPoppet Report 8 Jan 2010 15:20

Hi
I have never been in your position before and am sorry that you found something out about your grandfather that has upset you
Without knowing the cicumstances
Whatever he did he was still your grandfather the man you loved and he by the sounds of it he loved you
As you say he died in 1982 so you cant ask him about this but isnt life to short to feel bitter about something you cant change
We all do things in life we regret and have to live with
Maybe your granfather did regret what he did and was truly sorry but he couldnt change it

~~ Jules in Wiltshire~~

~~ Jules in Wiltshire~~ Report 8 Jan 2010 18:34

Thanks for your replies...
I will never forgive him for what he has done..He did things to his 2daughters when they were little that no father should ever do.....!!

It has really put me off researching his line now..It is a bit difficult anyway as he was born In Germiston South Africa...

Jules xx

PollyPoppet

PollyPoppet Report 8 Jan 2010 20:05

Hi i think i understand what you are saying
that must have been awful for you to find that out
i know i would be devastated if it was my grandfather and like you i could never forgive that