General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Buying a LAPTOP??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 8 Jan 2010 14:22

My Vic wants to buy me a laptop, bless him, mainly so that l can be on PC whilst downstairs, also cause my pc is about 5 maybe 6 yrs old now and is driving me mad (will get it checked incase its me!!...lol)

Soooo.....what do l look for, how many rams, size of this that and the other???? Make etc
Would you advise getting a refurbished one??
The old one will be kept mainly for photos etc
and l will most probably get a fingy hard drive....portable, thats the word!!!

jude :o) x

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 8 Jan 2010 23:20

nudge before l log off

jude :o)

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 9 Jan 2010 04:21

n for you Jude

Sorry I can't help, haven't a clue, altho I would love a laptop too, but o.h. mentioned it when he thought we were going away in uk as I get bored stuck in an apartment with him asleep and no entertainment, but once we booked Corfu the idea disappered lol
Oh well, one day....

Lizxx

badger

badger Report 9 Jan 2010 07:35

Get yourself a nice little 15 inch acer or H P laptop,with a 2 gig ddr [memory] on Vista [windows 7 still has too many bugs.
Something like a 160 gig hard drive will do well ,remembering that you will have an external hard drive as well,and don't forget you need wi fi as well..I am sat here in Lynham on my acer working via a dongle because the grandsons new home hasn't got broadband or telephone yet .
Bet here is as cold as wales is at the mo too ,minus 15 at the moment brrrrrrr.Fred.

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 9 Jan 2010 23:25

Hello and thanks Fred:o))

It was 28.8 about an hour ago, blooming cold l know that....brrrr.

My b i l suggests l look at a Dell, l have seen some on an advert that keeps flashing up on my email. l will look at the Acer and HP.
He suggests l look for Windows 7.
He also suggests dual core hard drive (what ever that is) and no less than 300 fingies for a hard drive.
What do others think??

jude :o)

LindainBerkshire1736004

LindainBerkshire1736004 Report 9 Jan 2010 23:32

Hi Jude
I am on my second Dell laptop and our desktop is Dell too.

Mine is an Inspiron bought nearly a year ago and cost around £400 with everything including a wireless mouse. It's been good. It has Windows Vista.

They were quick to with delivery.

Linda :o) XxX House bound because of the snow !!!

Von

Von Report 9 Jan 2010 23:49

Jude
I would go for the best you can afford. I have a Samsung Q 35.
I love it but apart from all it's technical advantages it was also chosen for it's weight so if I wanted to take it to records offices etc I could.
They vary so much in size as well as weight.
Hope you find what you want
Von

Carol 430181

Carol 430181 Report 10 Jan 2010 00:05

At the moment I am on a Toshiba laptop which I purchased 7 yrs ago for over £1000 it has been really good, but is a bit slow now. Bought a new Toshiba L350 with 17" screen before christmas for only £379 I am really pleased with it, but I picked up a virus, so waiting for it to be fixed, hopefully!
Carol

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 10 Jan 2010 14:23

Thanks girls:o))

Had a chat with friend and he suggests the Acer, so looking into that. l know more now of what l want my pc to have so that helps.

All your little bits of info help so keep them coming:o))

Carol....hope you get the virus sorted!!

jude:o)

How you doing LindaB ? we tried to book a table at the place you stayed at back in the summer, do they have a restaurant??

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 10 Jan 2010 14:31

Jude when you have an idea of what you want pay a visit to some of the places that sell them and try them out for size, keyboard and weight, they all vary tremendously and it is very personal what people like.