General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Robert Smith born 25/3/1907

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gillian

Gillian Report 8 Jan 2010 15:49

Robert was my grandad but no one knows who his parents were. I have recently subscribed to the 1911 census but have been unable to find him there. I think he was born in Greenwich, but no one can confirm or deny this. Will the only way to find out 100% be to buy his birth certificate? I know the reference number and I believe this makes it cost less to buy a copy?
Hope someone can help, I have well and truly hit a brick wall with this!
Thanks
Gill

Helen in Bucks

Helen in Bucks Report 8 Jan 2010 15:50

yes, the only way to know for sure is with a birth cert, even then it may not show details of his father, should cost £7 from the GRO with the ref no.s

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Jan 2010 15:54

Make sure you go to the GRO site to order the certificate as some sites charge a lot more. You should only pay £7. You need to know vol number, page number, registration district and quarter of birth (March 1907 in your case). It is well worth buying the certificate to 'prove' his birth. Then you should be able to find him on the 1911.

Gillian

Gillian Report 8 Jan 2010 16:06

Thanks all, think I will have to go for it. Have to say it's driving me mad! As my Auntie said, just wish we had asked more questions while we still could.
His birth was actually registered in April which threw me for a bit.
How long do they take to come through (assuming normal weather conditions lol)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Jan 2010 16:08

Not sure if you know he was registered in April whether you need to put March quarter or June Quarter. Can I suggest you ask advice on Tips or Records board where there are more knowledgeable people.

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 8 Jan 2010 16:09

Robert Smith brn 1907

born Greenwich living in Greenwich 1911 census

RG14 Piece:
2690 Reference:
RG14PN2690 RG78PN92 RD28 SD5 ED4 SN182

I would say your best bet is to get his marriage certificate if you are unsure of his birth place. This way you will at least have his Father's name. There are far too many Robert Smiths' to choose from in the BMD's. A very expensive option.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 8 Jan 2010 16:34

You have 6 weeks to reg a birth so born March he may well have been reg in April so would come under to Apr-June qtr
I was born late march and reg in April so my birth is in the June qtr.
Similarly someone born in late Nov or Dec may well have been reg is early Jan so their birth will show in the Mar qtr of the next year ,its something to consider when looking for the GRO refs.

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 8 Jan 2010 17:02

If you don't know who his parents are and you apply for that certificate how will you know it is the correct one?

Do you have his marriage certificate to at least give you his father's name and occupation?

Jill

Gillian

Gillian Report 8 Jan 2010 19:25

I guess that's right, hadn;t thought of that. I do have the marriage date so will probably go for that first.
Thanks again

Gillian

Gillian Report 8 Jan 2010 19:32

Susan, that is the one I thought it could be, but as far as the family knew he only had one sister born aroun 1912. If this is him then it looks like both brothers must have passed away. How sad.