General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hoar frost

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Blue Moon

Blue Moon Report 8 Jan 2010 18:50

I know the weather is horrendous but the trees by my work to day were covered in hoar frost they were beautiful,
nature never ceases to amaze me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are three types of frost that occur in different ways:

Rime frost.
Rime is ice formed when a damp, icy wind blows over flowers, branches and other surfaces. Rime frost looks like icing around the edge of petals and leaves, and only occurs when the temperatures are very low.

Hoar frost.
Hoar frost occurs when water vapour touches a very cold surface and freezes on it instantly. This can happen to the leaves and branches of plants, and will cover them with ice crystals that look like spiky fingers.

It can also occur on other freezing surfaces such as soil and metal, and so can often be seen on cars. Hoar frost can occur at higher temperatures than rime frost – usually when the air temperature is around 0°C (32°F). However, the ground is usually much colder, and the air must be moist for the ice crystals to form.

Fern frost.
In particularly cold weather, fern frost may appear on windows. This happens when tiny water droplets (dew) first form on the cold glass.

These then turn into ice and more moisture freezes on top. As this process continues, more ice crystals are formed and the frost develops into what looks like feathery fingers. Fern frost can create beautiful patterns of ice crystals, which often look leaf or fern like – hence the name.

Pictures of Hoar frost
http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&um=1&q=hoar+frost&sa=N&start=18&ndsp=18

Blue Moon

Blue Moon Report 8 Jan 2010 19:07

Hi Tina,

I'm hoping to get out over the weekend for an hour with the camera,
( if I can get OH interested ) Their is a tree lined disused railway not to far from us and you can get to it just off the main road so no problems traveling to it.

TeresaW

TeresaW Report 8 Jan 2010 19:27

Not seen any hoar frost, but plenty of snow outlining all the branches and twigs, it really is very beautiful. I managed to get some photos in the woods this morning after another heavy downfall, and with the sun shining through the trees it was stunning.

Blue Moon

Blue Moon Report 8 Jan 2010 19:52

TeresaW,I bet it was :~)

Sally

Sally Report 9 Jan 2010 06:45

I was lucky enough to be up at a farm every day and see the seasons change and love and respect nature....

.....one of the sights that will be in my memory will be of a navy blue sky threatening storms, bare skeletal trees in the distance, their branches covered with snow, and a beam of sunshine shining down on them........if I could have had a camera with me it would have been captured.....

Blue Moon

Blue Moon Report 9 Jan 2010 08:47

Moonchild, it sounds lovely,you never know what you might see,
I do have a small camera which I should carry about with me more than I do.