General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Heating Advice needed please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jane

Jane Report 9 Jan 2010 13:20

Is it safe to leave an oiled filled radiator on all the time unattended.(mobile one).My daughter has had to have the gas turned off in her house and gas people now can't go until tuesday.She is not living in the house it is vacant.But with these temperatures we are worried about having no heat in the house at all.
I really need to know if the heater can stay on for a couple of days safely as we may not be able to get to the house if snow gets worse.
Thanks anyone who can help.

Jane

Jane Report 9 Jan 2010 13:27

I will ring electric peeps now.Thanks Margaret.

MrDaff

MrDaff Report 9 Jan 2010 13:33

I have to say that I have three..... and they are on all the time... I turn them down if I am out, and at night, but they are still on, and there is enough heat from them to attract the five feline members of the household on a cold night... mine all have a thermostat(heaters, not cats ;¬))... and I would use one of thos supply cutty offy things in case of overheating... make sure they are in an area where there are no curtains, plastic things (the heat was turned up on mine, and it was next to the plastic body of the shredder) and it should be fine... I do know of some people who use them in their sheds during very cold weather....

Love

Daff xxxx

Jane

Jane Report 9 Jan 2010 13:43

Daff ,I was pretty sure it would be ok to leave.But trying to persuade daughter is another thing lol.She says the b***** house is jinxed as it is and would worry about it catching fire or something.Maybe my OH can talk her round.
Thanks
Jane x

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 9 Jan 2010 14:20

if it is thermostatically controlled and is in good condition, then I would leave it on, warm enough to keep frost out of the house, another option is using a timer so that its only on at night when temperatures fall........

Bob

Jane

Jane Report 9 Jan 2010 14:35

Thanks Bob! I hadn't thought about a timer.