General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I should have been a plumber...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

TeresaW

TeresaW Report 9 Jan 2010 14:57

Last week my washing machine arrived, cold feed only, so had to sort out the plumbing to remove the hot feed. Easy enough...but was pleased with my efforts.

Yesterday I had to get the landlord, who I'm told is a plumber by trade, to repair our toilet cistern, one part had broken. As it happens, the float valve was about to fall apart too, and we would have been in big trouble, because we couldn't find the stopcock.

Anyway, we found it eventually, tucked in behind the toilet, and boxed in. So landlord goes off to get new parts, fixes them in and it seems to be working ok...ish.

As I went to bed last night, the float arm fell off (that's the bit that floats as the loo fills up). I managed to turn everything off and put it all back together again so it would flush, but it wouldn't stop filling, so the water stayed off over night.

Performance filling kettle this morning for a cuppa. Flush toilet, turn water on, run to kitchen and fill kettle, run to bathroom to turn water off, flush toilet. LOLOLOL

Aaaaaaaanyway, looked online for the make of parts and found assembly instructions, put it all together again, it was right the first time I did it, but I found out the landlord hadn't pushed the pipe into the slot behind it. It's now working a treat.

So, I can now plumb in a washing machine, take a radiator off to decorate behind and put it back with no leaks, and repair toilet cisterns.

Who needs a man eh? Hagar just watched me.

PompeyForever

PompeyForever Report 9 Jan 2010 15:02

Im a plumber, just tie the arm up with a bit of string to stop it filling for now

TeresaW

TeresaW Report 9 Jan 2010 15:06

Dont' need to now, it's all working fine. It fills and stops a treat.

Lifting the arm didn't stop it anyway, tried that, unless the delay was four hours or more lol. He hadn' t put the flow restrictor in, luckily he'd left it in a bag of bits behind the loo (just in case, he said, shows how much faith he has in his own abilities)

When I re-fitted it last night I hadn't put the diaphram in properly...oops.

Silly Sausage

Silly Sausage Report 9 Jan 2010 15:08

Maybe you should change your CV chuck lol

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 9 Jan 2010 15:11

*admiring....have always said you were multi talented darling...now I need a new kitchen sink fitted??? lol BCXX

*bats eyelashes at PUP.....a Plumber you Say???

PompeyForever

PompeyForever Report 9 Jan 2010 15:13

Everything is easy when you know how, need any advice ever pm me will be happy to help

Tim

PompeyForever

PompeyForever Report 9 Jan 2010 15:14

Will fit it BC free of charge when im in your area

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 9 Jan 2010 15:15

Oh! Oh! Thank you PUP! *runs out to buy kitchen sink.........

TeresaW

TeresaW Report 9 Jan 2010 15:15

Will do, thanks Tim.....err....if you're in Norfolk anytime, I've got a dripping stoptap now.....it's only on 1/4 turn....thats a 'turn it off from outside somewhere' job isn't it?

Thank goodness for chinese plastic take-away cartons lol

PompeyForever

PompeyForever Report 9 Jan 2010 15:21

depends what side it dripping from believe it or not, can sometimes do it live, but usually outside turn off.

Shame i was in GT Yarmouth a few weeks back

TeresaW

TeresaW Report 9 Jan 2010 15:29

Ha...a few weeks back the only unwanted water in this flat was from the condensation on the window lol

I'll get him on it on Monday, whether he likes it or not. It's the bit between the tap handle and the pipe, but it's not dripping fast, we can contain it for a couple of days.

About time we got something for our five years rent lol