General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Organ donations

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 9 Jan 2010 15:32

I keep seeing that organ donation advert on the side of this page.

I remember years and years ago filling out an organ donor card - and I'm sure it was just kidneys then. Lord knows where the card is now.

But I'm thinking - my eyes would be no good to anyone else - v. shortsighted, astigmatism, and use varifocals now. My liver is probably not top notch, and I expect the lungs could be better.

Happy to donate my kidneys (after I've gone of course) but what else might they want? And at my age how much use would it be? (I'm early 50s)

Got me thinking though.

Who here has registered to donate their bits?

Jill

TeresaW

TeresaW Report 9 Jan 2010 15:37

I'm not sure, but I dont' think you have to have perfect eyesight to be able to donate your cornea, and I'm sure a blind person would love to be shortsighted, if you know what I mean.

Heart, lungs, kidneys, liver, cornea, not sure about bone marrow, even your face these days. I should think there are a few more bits they could use....

I haven't registered for donations, though I should. I remember putting up a thread a few years ago discussing whether we should register to donate, or simply opt out.

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★ Report 9 Jan 2010 15:40

Don't think i have much left to donate...

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 9 Jan 2010 15:41

I think I remember that thread TW. It does seem logical to assume that everyone is happy to donate whatever is useful and have to sign to say no. It would be far easier.

No one would want my face though - even I don't want my face!! LOL

I suppose they could always laser your corneas to make them work better couldn't they?

hmmmmm

MrDaff

MrDaff Report 9 Jan 2010 21:08

I can give my cornea, but nothing else... I have been taken off the donation list for anything, lol

I have been an expensive user of other people's donations though.... I had over 200 units of blood product (platelets and blood transfusions) in a 6 month period last year... and may need a stem cell transplant in the future... I have a donor already lined up, bless him, my younger brother.

But please, if you feel you could, apply to be a donor via the Anthony Nolan website......

I have lost 3 friends because donors couldn't be found in time.

Thank you

Love

Daff xxxx

suzian

suzian Report 9 Jan 2010 21:27

Thanks for pricking my conscience. I've just registered

I really hope someone wants my face. Not that it's anything special, but I've spent an absolute fortune on lotions and potions.

Sue x

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 9 Jan 2010 21:29

i dont mind them taking any of my organs

but not my eyes

Huia

Huia Report 9 Jan 2010 22:24

Last year when my OH was in hospital being checked for long term care I googled organ donation because we had said years ago we wanted to donate. I found that he is too old (now 80) to donate some things but kidneys and liver at any age (if healthy, of course), corneas, skin, and I think bones. I want his brain to go for research if they want it. I went to a funeral director as well and he said he can contact the various places when the time comes, to see if they want these things.

Do I seem morbid sorting these things out when he is still alive? I felt it better to get it out of the way now than leave it and then kick myself later because we didnt do it.

Of course I am in NZ, so you might find the English hospitals have different ideas.

Huia.

Sally

Sally Report 9 Jan 2010 22:32

Had a kidney donor card from my 20's Jill, they seem to work OK, especially when its cold...... :0)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 9 Jan 2010 22:36

There was a programme on radio 4 about the health Service being so desperate for organs they were accepting organs from log term drug addicts, and even cancer victims.
It was awful.
Fancy being given a desperately needed kidney/lung - only to find out you then had cancer from it!

I always wanted to give blood, but , initially my stay in an isolation hospital for 3 months(reason unknown) was against me. Then there was a minimum weight restriction - finally, when I get over 8 stone - and am told to lose weight - I find I only have one kidney and can't give blood anyway!

However, I hope I can donate after my death. Kevin (my kidney) is healthy, as is my liver. I smoke so would ban my lungs and have cr*ppy sight that I wouldn't want to impose on anyone!
No-one would want my face (even me!) and I have high blood pressure.

Apart from that - I'm fit & healthy!! LOL

Annina

Annina Report 10 Jan 2010 14:33

Hi Mrs Grumpy,the up-to-date donation cards specify what you want to donate,

It is surprising what can be of use and I have always carried a card.

One thing that annoys me,is that I can't be considered for bone marrow donation as am way over 40. As I have a rare blood group,I would thought it would be valuable to someone.

Does anyone out there know why it is no use over 40??

*~~*Posh*~~*

*~~*Posh*~~* Report 10 Jan 2010 15:42

I could write for hours on the importance of Organ donation as a recipient. Unless you have first hand experience it is very difficult to imagine how it is for those waiting for an Organ. It is a nightmare....You go to bed at night praying for the phone to ring so that you can have a few more years to bring up your Children ect.
A great big Thank you to all who sign up.... xxx

MrDaff

MrDaff Report 10 Jan 2010 19:00

Nina.... my brother is 51.... there is one lady I know whose transplant (stem cell) came from her older sister... she is 64, I don't know how old her sister is but it is more than 64, lolol.

Maybe it is because our donors are related that there is a higher age restriction.

Love

Daff xxxx

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 10 Jan 2010 20:22

Does your NHS keep records of people who wish to donate after death? I discovered last year that OHIP, our provincial NHS-equivalent, does.

I had to get a new photo card, they now expire every 5 years because of problems with fraudulent use by illegal residents (especially people from the US who have no health coverage there). The leaflet was on the counter so I filled it out. We can do it on our driver's licence renewal form too, but because of my own eye saga I haven't renewed mine after my purse was stolen last year ... Best to have it right in the health records I thought.

I used to say yes to donation but no to medical research, made me sqeuamish, medical students getting my body. Then I just thought: who cares? You're dead. You're gone. It's over. Your body is a dead thing and it might be the one that somebody needs for training and they then go on to discover the cure for cancer. Or even just fix a kid's broken bone. How selfish and stupid it would be to say no.

I am not allowed to donate blood (too old for bone marrow, too, I think it must be because they think it is risky for older donors). I had a relationship 30 years ago with a student from West Africa, back before we knew anything about AIDS. Because of the scary strains of HIV from West Africa there seems to be a permanent ban on people who have travelled to the country in question since 1977, or their partners, giving blood. Since it has been 30 years and my friend is alive and well and teaching at a university in his country it seems silly, but it's one of those things I think it would be just kind of wrong to make up my own rules about.

When I'm dead, they can test my bits and make up their own minds. ;)