General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Met Office - got it wrong.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 10 Jan 2010 12:56

I live in Essex

I expected, as others may have, that I would have woken up to many more inches of snow this morning. Terrible conditions & the real threat of no school again tomorrow.

For the last few days, the weather report has said we were going to get really heavy snow Sunday, and yesterday evening before I went out they were still talking about it on the news about what an awful time we'd have.

Now if they can predict such weather, up to the last minute, how come they got this so wrong. The temperature has risen up a bit, & the threat of snow has now dwindled to almost nothing for many places (I understand not all places)
The warning has now been downgraded by the Met office.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad its not as bad in our area than first thought, but how about the jobs which have been cancelled for Monday because of this warning ? My hubby has lost a days work for Monday as people have listened to the warnings & put off Jobs. People have been warned not to make unnecessary journeys, so have put off going out. Shops are so packed its worse than Xmas with the panic buying. Tescos yesterday was a nightmare. Trolleys were like gold dust, but again people have been frightened by the weather reports. All we bought extra to our shopping was another loaf of bread, which I will make the kids school sarnies up & freeze for the week, as our local shop looks like crows have gone through a corn field in the bread & milk department !

Last night we went to visit my cuzzy who lives in another part of Essex an hour or less away.

We had no trouble on the roads, even though a few small roads were untreated. My cuzzy was going to cancel as she'd heard the weather was going to be bad.but we said we would come as it was her birthday

I'm glad we made that decision now as we could have lost out on a great family get together all due to the inaccurate info given which could have changed our minds

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 10 Jan 2010 13:01

Trouble is Elaine I think they err on the far side of cautious these days after getting burnt by not forecasting snow/storms etc. I suppose they can't win. Maybe the wind changed direction or something, it is certainly not as cold here today.

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 10 Jan 2010 13:03

Same here in East Kent.

Yesterday's forecast showed snow over the next few days, then sleet.

Today we've had a bit of sleet and it is still near freezing (I think due to the wind) but the snow locally seems to be dwindling a bit.

Forecast now looks a bit better for the next few days - grey cloud. I can live with that!

Jill

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 10 Jan 2010 13:05

quite a serious thaw going on now here......BUT! that can change!!

Bob

LOL I is not 'Appy!!!

My Gps board name has gone

Silly Sausage

Silly Sausage Report 10 Jan 2010 13:06

I thought it was tonight we were due to get it....opp north anyway, Itsmytelly doesnt think it will reach but he said that last week seems to me when the temp goes up again the snow comes we have had a little flutter this morning....

*~~*Posh*~~*

*~~*Posh*~~* Report 10 Jan 2010 13:06

We have had a fluttering of snow here in S. Wales this morning but it hasn't settled. It certainly feels a little warmer too. xx

Stevie

Stevie Report 10 Jan 2010 13:21

Yesterday afternoon, we had about half inch of snow here in Chelmsford. Like Mildred & Ann, I was expecting 4 or 5 inches of snow overnight.........didn't arrive.

Now have a slight thaw. lol :o))

But as Bob said, it can soon change. Slight thaw, followed by sub zero temps = treacherous ice :o(

Steve
:o)

Amanda2003

Amanda2003 Report 10 Jan 2010 13:39

We have quite a thaw going on ( right on the coast in Norfolk )......I too had expected to wake up to more snow .

We just went to Oulton Broad to feed the ducks and the Broad is frozen solid..............but it did look as if it was starting to thaw round the edges .

I've always thought that the best way to gauge the weather is to look out of the window.........lol

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Jan 2010 13:47

It's thawing here, too - ice on the road has turned to slush!
Apparently it's above freezing - but minus temperatures are predicted for tonight!
Could be fun (not) trying to get to work tomorrow!

Merlin

Merlin Report 10 Jan 2010 14:43

No doubt they will blame it on their "Almost New" 1million pound Computor" ( Probably forgot to plug it in).**M**.

Fi aka Wheelie Spice

Fi aka Wheelie Spice Report 10 Jan 2010 16:35

As I started to read this thread I looked out the window and guess what, it has just started snowing again, just as it had started to thaw.

Lets hope it doesnt come down for too long or stays cos I have to be somewhere important tomorrow afternoon.

PS I am in Enfield

Joanne in Burgess Hill™

Joanne in Burgess Hill™ Report 10 Jan 2010 16:46

We were the same. Warned that another 5 inches would fall over night, but nothing happened. The path feels very slushy now and the icicles have been dripping non-stop.

Hopefully we have now started thawing.

BTW, we are in Mid-Sussex.

Joanne x

TeresaW

TeresaW Report 10 Jan 2010 17:18

Well, we've had the forecasted snow all day, though there has been a slow thaw going on too. It really has been snowing all day with a few gaps between. I lost my internet last night and only just got it back, and the bathroom is flooded because the stop tap sprung a leak, and the landlord can't get out until tomorrow, after taking all morning to get in touch with him. I'm not in a good mood and throughly fed up of it all.

So there. Ner.

Staffs Col

Staffs Col Report 10 Jan 2010 18:57

I am no fan of the Met Office but in fact the difference between snow, rain and sleet is less than 1 degree so its very hard to predict,,,well thats their excuse

Fi aka Wheelie Spice

Fi aka Wheelie Spice Report 10 Jan 2010 19:27

How many degrees do you need to became a weather forecaster? LOL

Sally

Sally Report 10 Jan 2010 20:40

I get so fed up with the London Weather Centre and its forecasts......that old chap who used to look at signs in the animals and plants did a far better job at predicting the long range forecasts......