General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Lark Rise to Candleford

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Treehunter

Treehunter Report 10 Jan 2010 20:03

Just started bbc1

Wildgoose

Wildgoose Report 10 Jan 2010 21:16

Watched it and loved it as usual even though the series strays from the book and even further from the 'real lives' of Laura's (Flora's) family and neighbours.

I was wondering, though, was £120 really enough to change their lives, if they had inherited the lot? I know it was a lot of money but even so; only so many posh dresses could be bought with it.

If I had written it, I would have made the inheritance a bit larger!

Birdi

Treehunter

Treehunter Report 10 Jan 2010 21:24

It was alot of money in them days, there is a website that will tell you how much it be worth todays money, i for got whet it is tho. As want it to look at how much one of my rellies money would be, i the the sum was £386.456, another was £83.687 or so one in 1870's another in 1922.

Yes was good will be watching next week.

Hazelx

Wildgoose

Wildgoose Report 10 Jan 2010 21:29

Using one of the 'what's it worth' sites it came up with this:

£120 =

£10,326.63 using the retail price index.
£57,710.35 using average earnings.

My great granddad inherited £30k in 1899 and managed to waste the lot:-(

Birdi

Treehunter

Treehunter Report 10 Jan 2010 21:34

Wouldnt mind having some of that in my pocket now.

Yes i am looking into where the lot that mine lefted went on. I think one just wasted it.

Hazelx

P.S Thanks for info