General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I don't know why i bother

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

McB

McB Report 11 Jan 2010 19:55

I run a small business, so small there's just me, over the last year or more to get work iv'e had to reduce my hourly rate that i charge considerably which has meant iv'e been working 6 1/2 long days a week & pricing work up late into the night when i get home, some days iv'e had no work at all but still have to be at work to be open so to speak, i am really struggling to pay the bills & contrary to the government saying the banks are helping small busneses there NOT.
Down the road where i live there are families that do not work & have no intention of doing so,
Over the crimbo period outside there houses ready for the dustmen to collect were empty boxes for new flat screen tv's, computers etc & these familys run fairly nice cars,
I don't know why i bother,

Fed up & pi55ed off.

Rant over

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 11 Jan 2010 20:00

Ah...but just think of the satisfaction of being occupied and contributing to society and how useless you would feel if you changed shoes.

Beware of what you wish for, for it may come true.

Wildgoose

Wildgoose Report 11 Jan 2010 20:15

My husband is also self employed. We haven't got a flat screen TV, a posh house, nor do we take expensive holidays. We've got a computer (obviously!) but we do have the satisfaction of knowing that what we have we have worked for.

Chin up McB

You have your pride!

Birdi

McB

McB Report 11 Jan 2010 20:35

Iv'e not had a holiday for the last 18 years

Reason i have a son with ADHD & going away with him was a nightmare

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 12 Jan 2010 10:31

I don't know how they manage it McB tbh because we've got enough to live on...as long as we go very carefully and watch every penny......... but certainly no money leftover for TV's or any major luxuries....which is as it should be imho.

I know it must be soul destroying for you hon.......but keep ploughing on if you can.......it's no better on this side of the fence I can assure you xx

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 12 Jan 2010 17:07

It's always bugged me too,even as far back as the early 60's when I had a guest house and beach cafe and relied on good weather and a short season to earn a living.I used to get unemployed locals coming in,looking as brown as berries after lazing with the children on the beach and complaining about paying 5d for a cup of tea or 8 d for a coffee.They would say you must be very wealthy!!!
I was as pale as pale,run off my feet with baking cakes etc and going home to get tables ready for breakfast for my guests.
I can't stand laziness,even now retired.and I'm sure you don't.
Just feel proud that you are as you are even though it does rile you.
You are a much more interesting person to know!
Brenda x

Dawnieher3headaches

Dawnieher3headaches Report 12 Jan 2010 17:43

well my children got less than normal for christmas because hubby had to stop working (was self employed) to look after me but not allowed any benefit so we dont have a lot of money only what they will give me.

Lunch today was deep fried Brie which was left over from Christmas so we are finding ways of using things up but certainly dont have flat screen tv, flash holidays etc.

Please dont tar us all with the same brush as those that seem to be on benefits and have everything