General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birmingham, Warwickshire, England, Pub Blacklist,

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 12 Jan 2010 13:45

Ancestry's latest addition.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=1651

SueM just put me on to this and recommends page 81

A list with descriptions of habitual drunkards with photos......good for a laugh on a cold winters day :-)))

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 12 Jan 2010 13:56

Aren't they great? I wish one of mine had been there though ...

Jill

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 12 Jan 2010 14:29

Oh me too lol

Am just off to see if I can find any from other parts of the country.

Just imagine if they did that now.....The world would be up in arms shouting about their rights.

Gypsy

Gypsy Report 12 Jan 2010 14:47

I saw a couple of weks ago - Briliant! I too wish some of minewere on there!

Lady Cutie

Lady Cutie Report 12 Jan 2010 16:24

What a great site this is
ive just spent the last 2 hrs looking through it .

Hazelx

Rambling

Rambling Report 12 Jan 2010 16:55

I've just looked through, and I found it quite sad...when you look at the faces of the women and the scars they had...you do wonder if they drank themselves stupid to get through the days in awful jobs ,and in the case of those who were prostitutes also, the nights as well.

Looking at the number of aliases some of them had though, it's no wonder they go 'missing' on census' !.

xx

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 12 Jan 2010 17:47

Oh dear Rose

You are making me feel guilty for laughing now :-(

The Gaol in Aylesbury used to have photos and info on Victorian Prisoners but the website seems to have disappeared now.

There are a few Newcastle/Durham books with Victorian prisoners..they make a good read ( Amazon )

There are of course Victorian Prisoners Photos on the National Archives site

BUT....I can find no others with Pub blacklists....shame. I wouldn't mind betting that a few of my London lot would be in it, if there was one for the area.

Rambling

Rambling Report 12 Jan 2010 18:08

It's a gift Susan ;) lol

Some great material there though for anyone wanting a subject to write about , if good at historical 'mean streets' type stories!

xx